Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two great products, Martelli Rotating mat and Block-Loc ruler

Jenny does so many wonderful tutorials where she uses half square triangles. She has several ways of constructing them, I like the one using 10" squares to make four 6-1/2" squares. I haven't been doing many quilts lately, but I got many gift certificates from my family around Christmas. I fell in love with one of her tutorials made of all HSTs, So I bought 10" squares, a set of Bloc-Loc rulers for squaring up half square triangles, and a Martelli rotating mat. Fast forward to May! Got to use both yesterday and I was totally impressed with both products! I have several sizes of Martelli cutting mats, and they are just awesome. So I knew the rotating mat was going to be a great product. If you want to purchase Martelli products, they run 50%off several times during the year. They are pricey, but very much worth the cost. I bought a 24" by 36" mat for my daughter, she raved about it several times after she got it, and believe me, she isn't the type to rave! As for the Bloc-Loc ruler, how many square up rulers do you own? I have at least 3 others, but this is by far the best! The groove on the underside really locks on to the seam and the ruler doesn't move around while you square up. I bought the pack of three, 6-1/2", 4-1/2", and 2-1/2". Another rather pricey tool, but the quilt Jenny showed had 300+HSTs that needed to be squared, that convinced me to try the Bloc-Locs! Totally awesome products!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two great products, Martelli Rotating mat and Block-Loc ruler

Jean, I agree with you about the Bloc Loc rulers - they are great! I don't own any Martelli mats but have been eyeing them. Perhaps next sale...
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have been debating with myself, trying to justify the purchase of bloc-loc rulers. I may just have to bite the bullet because I LOVE making and playing with 1/2 square triangle blocks.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree both are awesome products. I have a Martelli cutting mat and one Bloc Loc ruler. The Bloc- Loc was required for a class I took several years ago.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the concept of the Bloc loc ruler but thought it was too pricey so I made my own. They are wonderful because they just slide into place. With my failing eyesight it is hard to line up any ruler on an edge consistently. Bloc loc rulers work and they save me time and effort.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

6. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    I love the concept of the Bloc loc ruler but thought it was too pricey so I made my own. They are wonderful because they just slide into place. With my failing eyesight it is hard to line up any ruler on an edge consistently. Bloc loc rulers work and they save me time and effort.
    And how did you make yours?
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 4 1/2" block ruler and love it.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 6 1/2 inch block loc ruler! WONDERFUL!!! Don't have the Martelli rotating mat, but do have a less expensive one and it does the job for me. I do like the Martelli products, though.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was very impressed with the block lock ruler and Martelli mat I got recently, very impressed. I won't hesitate to make more half square triangles any longer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    And how did you make yours?
    I use Scotch Reusable mounting strips to create the lip that presses up against the seam similar to what the Bloc Loc Ruler does. Here is a picture of of the one I made for the Triangle unit. For half square triangles I also add a piece in one corner so it doesn't rock back and forth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4150.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	152668
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.