• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g8dhorse7
    The Guild President
    • Dec 2012

Serger

I decided I NEED a serger. I bought one in the 90s when I was making clothes for my daughter and I never opened the box because as soon as it arrived she decided home made clothes weren't cool any more. Grrrrr! So I returned it.

Now, I would like to start making refashions. Skirts, shirts, dresses, etc. I may be using fabrics that have stretch, denim, cotton blends, etc. And serger may help with some of the bags I make.

So, if you have a serger, please tell me what brand and what you like/dislike about it. I'm a newbie with sergers so the one I buy needs to be newbie friendly.

Thanks for your assistance!
  • SuzanneOrleansOntario
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2015

Re: Serger

I have had my White serger since the 1990s. Luckily, my kids wanted me to make them cool clothes. I could have started a clothing business but had no interest. White is made by Husquarvana and I still have it. A real workhorse which I probably would have forever. I do keep it clean, and service every 8-10 year, but not necessary as I was taught how to maintain it.

There are many good sergers on the market made by Husquarvana, Bernina and Janone. But if I HAD to buy one, I would go with Babylock, and the self-threading air driven feature. I think they are pricey but you might do a lot more if it's easy to thread.

Feature to look for - ability to do 2,3, 4 threads. Easy clear path to re-thread. Ability to drop the cutter, for regular sewing.

I think the important part is to buy where you can get get service or get intro lessons. These are very handy when you want to use it to full capacity. Have fun.
    Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; May 21, 2018, 07:31 AM.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• cv quilter
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

I have a Baby Lock Enlighten serger. It's a 4 thread serger and has the stitch length and width adjustment knobs, has the overlock setting and the Wave setting (you can do a wave stitch edging with it, really cool), but what I like the most about it is the EASY threading. I think for me this is the perfect serger. I don't do clothing anymore, but when I want to do pillow cases, table cloths, napkins, it sure is quick and easy to get a finished edge or seam.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• amartin24
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2014

I'm not sure what type of sewing machine you have but I can do "serge -type" stitches on mine. Mine isn't all that fancy either - a brother. I just used it recently to serge the edges of knit lining of a dress. Worked great.
        I am Sew Blessed!
        Alina

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2012

I have only had BabyLocks, mainly for their Jet Air threading. I still have one I purchased used in 1992, still works great. Jet air makes threading so easy, and it changes quickly from regular serving to rolled hem in just seconds. I've heard many stories about unused sergers because threading them was so difficult.

I've had several since that 1992, didn't like the big one that had more than 4 threads. Back to a nice powerful 4 thread as a workhorse companion to my old machine. My friend and I do costumes, often have two sergers going side by side when in production mode. We did 110 circle skirts in two days using these two sergers! Fast!
          Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 21, 2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• MaggieSue
            Missouri Star
            • Sep 2015

I have a Babylock Imagine that I have had at least ten years!!! Best investment ever. I know that I would not be able to deal with threading this without the air threading.

Comment

• cv quilter
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2015

Agreed with both Jean and Maggie Sue...the Air Threading is ABSOLUTELY the best!!!! I once bought a cheap Singer serger....omg...I could never get it threaded. I eventually threw it away. I do think the newer ones are much better about the threading issue, but I would never want another serger than the BL Enlighten I have.
              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2016

I have a Janome 4-thread and it is a PAIN to rethread one of the bottom loopers. When this baby goes belly up it WILL be replaced with a self threading one for sure. The first time I had to do it, I was ready to throw that thing out the window. There is a reason they provide you with those long bent end tweezers! The machine does get used quite often and glad I do own one. When I have a quilt tops with fabric that frays easily and I am not going to quilt it right away, I do serge around the sides before putting away for a quilting day. One day I want to make one of the serged quilts (long wide strips - double sided quilt). My local dealer does Janome, not baby lock - that is the reason I bought a Janome.

Comment

• g8dhorse7
                  The Guild President
                  • Dec 2012

Thank you all. I will check out the Babylock. I have a dealer fairly close who sells BL and Brother. I bought my Brother embroidery machine from them. They will definitely have to show me how to thread and operate one.

Comment

• shawnan
                    Applique Angel
                    • Feb 2011

I understand Pfaff will be putting out a self-threading serger this fall. I don't know a price though. I currently have a Pfaff Coverlock 4, which I like very much. My dealer made sure I knew how to thread it.

Nancy
                    Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

• Rhonda K
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2017

Have fun at the demo. See if the shop offers classes as they help with learning the machine. Our local shop offers a monthly class and has events to learn techniques. I have the Ovation and love the different stitches on it. The latest model added a needle threader too.

Just a tip for you. Take the color-coded thread guide sheets to a copy center and make enlarged copies. Then laminate them to keep next to the machine for reference. I had two sets made and one set stays in the roller bag for class time.

Best wishes on your decision!
                      Just one more stitch...

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2011

I have an older model Babylock and while I don't love rethreading it, it is not that hard to do. If you rethread it 8 times in a row you will have it in your memory and be able to do it without problems from then on.
                        I do no change the thread out any more than necessary though. Just using neutral thread works for almost anything you are doing.
                        Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• TMP
                          Missouri Star
                          • Apr 2014

I have an older singer cheap model. I think I used it once or twice when Kaylee was a baby. It has been sitting in the closet for about 10 years. Threading this thing and keeping the threads straight is a nightmare.
                          Teresa
                          Pelham, Alabama
                          War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Granny Fran
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2014

I have a Brother 1034D and love it. As Claire H said, not so hard to thread after a few tries. I looked into the BL, but could not justify the expense just to get a self threader. The brother will do most of what the BL offers. Try them out at the shop and compare features. If you are going to be garment sewing, you may want to consider a cover stitch machine as well.
                            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                            Aesop

Comment

• Hulamoon
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jul 2012

I agree with Jean on the Babylock and don't get more than four threads. We both owned (I still have mine) the eight thread. You will never use eight threads unless your making a tent. lol
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X