Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Serger

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serger

Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    Oh dear! I've never had it NOT work!
    If you run out of thread while serging, you've lost your tie on thread. Better know how to thread it the regular way. I do the tie on method as often as I can, as I change thread colors often in my costume and dressmaking jobs.

I don't know if this works on all machines, but BabyLock sells a product that is like a tiny thin stainless steel wire snake with an eye on one end. It snakes through the thread path and comes out by the knife and you can pull your thread through. Works when lint or dirt is clogging the thread path.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 30th, 2018 at 02:36 PM.

2. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serger

I bought a used coverstitch machine, if I remember correctly I think I gave about 400 for the machine and table. It is a Union Special but I don't remember the model number, never had to get any parts so haven't looked. Couldn't ask for anything more, it does what it is supposed to do. Remember to "pull through" rather than completely re-threading, yeah 5 cones, 4 tension devices can be a bit tedious but once you get it set you are good to go for a long long time. Here again I recommend a used industrial machine, just plain works better with fewer issues.