Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serger

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serger

Have fun at the demo. See if the shop offers classes as they help with learning the machine. Our local shop offers a monthly class and has events to learn techniques. I have the Ovation and love the different stitches on it. The latest model added a needle threader too.

Just a tip for you. Take the color-coded thread guide sheets to a copy center and make enlarged copies. Then laminate them to keep next to the machine for reference. I had two sets made and one set stays in the roller bag for class time.

Best wishes on your decision!

2. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older model Babylock and while I don't love rethreading it, it is not that hard to do. If you rethread it 8 times in a row you will have it in your memory and be able to do it without problems from then on.
    I do no change the thread out any more than necessary though. Just using neutral thread works for almost anything you are doing.

4. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older singer cheap model. I think I used it once or twice when Kaylee was a baby. It has been sitting in the closet for about 10 years. Threading this thing and keeping the threads straight is a nightmare.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother 1034D and love it. As Claire H said, not so hard to thread after a few tries. I looked into the BL, but could not justify the expense just to get a self threader. The brother will do most of what the BL offers. Try them out at the shop and compare features. If you are going to be garment sewing, you may want to consider a cover stitch machine as well.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jean on the Babylock and don't get more than four threads. We both owned (I still have mine) the eight thread. You will never use eight threads unless your making a tent. lol

Lorie

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

There's an easy way to change thread on those things, been doing it for years. Cut the thread next to the old spool, tie that end to the replacement thread, repeat with however many spools. Carefully run the machine to bring the new threads through. The knots will go through everything but the needles. Clip that knot and re-thread the needle. Learned this when I worked for Singer in the 80's

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I tried what auntstuff suggested on my old serger....didn't work. Got so frustrated I loaned it to my daughter and her husband got it threaded for me before they returned it.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear! I've never had it NOT work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Possible I didn't knot it right or I don't know what?....but it was not working for me. I finally gave my little machine away.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a serger last week. Think it is a european brand, never seen it in the usa
    I have a Lewenstein 4 thread serger. I played with it a little, made two shirts and a skirt.. Need to play some more, but so far I really like it. The threading is just a matter of practising I think. I sat down and have threaded my machine over and over.

Hope you find a machine you like, if you do i wish you lots of fun with it!
    It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

www.memoryquiltsbyklasien.nl