Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: This Is Gross...BEWARE...

They are busy eating rodents, so they are actually good guys! Rattlers on the other hand....the only good rattler is a dead one! I have seen my fair share here. Don't get me started on scorpions...
    Last edited by FaintlyArtistic; May 25th, 2018 at 02:36 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Linda, Jeff pulled it down with a pitchfork and had a 5 gallon bucket with a lid ready. He dropped that long thing into the bucket and relocated it to the woods, hopefully never to be seen again. We figured out that it was after the eggs or baby birds in a nest built in the rafters of our porch. He was headed in the direction of the nest, so hopefully the birds/eggs were spared.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know many people are really afraid of snakes but I never understood why. The startle factor is one thing--and understandable. If you are walking along or opening the pantry door and come upon a snake, it will startle you. But so would a chipmunk or a robin. But you wouldn't run to get a hoe and chop a robin to death.

My mom was really scared of snakes, but she would only attempt to kill ones she knew were poisonous. I think people assume snakes are out to get us, but really, they aren't. It is a one-sided war.

I have never really thought snakes make good pets, as they don't show affection and don't seem to interact with their owner except when they are hungry.

But, if I could keep one successfully, I would have a little green snake for a pet. They are small, beautiful and totally harmless. The most beautiful shade of spring green you ever saw, and about as big around as a pencil. But they don't live long in captivity, so I guess I won't try. I'm just a big kid, always finding turtles, frogs and cool looking bugs.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nope I definitely do not like snakes. When we go to the zoo I will not even go into the reptile house. Many years ago we lived in Kentucky and had a big veggie garden in our back yard and behind that was a creek, or you might say that creek was a snake magnet. One year I was out picking zucchini, barefoot, and reached my arm out and was about to wrap my hand around one of the stalks when it suddenly moved. It was a copperhead! My next door neighbor came over and shot it with his pistol after we spent a half hour trying to find it cause it had moved. I never went barefoot into the garden again after that!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care what color they are - I'M SCARED TO DEATH OF SNAKES

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the snake was a decorative piece of black metal in your wall but then I don't really know much about snakes. City girl that hasn't seen a snake that wasn't in captivity. Glad Jeff got it relocated.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan of snakes, but would rather have a black snake than any others. While they may not "eat" poisonous snakes, they are extremely territorial and will keep them on the run. I just read about the pecans (coconuts) and mice in another post, they will eat them, and I would rather have a black snake outdoors than vermin indoors. Fortunately, we don't have to deal with mice, etc. - at least so far. I do have to beware as I walk along the sidewalk to work at night because some of the tiniest little mice you have ever seen run back and forth between the trash cans.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a vet tech and we work with (pet) snakes all the time. Once you understand them, there is little to fear. But I do understand this is ingrained in many of us. The thing is, black snakes are very beneficial to the environment. They kill lots of rodents and help keep that population down. They are harmless to humans as well. Snakes don't deserve to die just because we fear them. (And I know many of you would never, ever do this, but there are also a whole lot of folks who think that it's okay to kill them just because they fear them.)

I am happy that you relocated this snake and let him do what he is on this earth to do - do his part to help keep a balanced eco-system that benefits all of us.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

9. Thanks Chantal, dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

manyyears ago my parents had a friend that worked for a couple that lived in the woods. She did a variety of jobs for them when they were out of town. They always got black snakes in the house and they tolerated them. She was given instructions not to bother the snakes. HA1 If they were not home and one was foolish enough to show itself, she dispatched with a hoe! such a funny sight-she was barely 5 ft. tall but had a mean swing with a hoe!
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

looks like some fancy black smith iron mongery
    not keen on snakes either,
    saw a grass snake at Druids temple, that was enough for me to advance quickly to the car.