Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default New word of the day: Lymphedema

If it ain't one thing it's another. I mean, good grief Charlie Brown! Just a confirmation from my physical therapist. I figured with my luck it'd be unlikely that I wouldn't have this problem from having some lymph nodes removed during my mastectomy but here it is. Will have to wear a compression sleeve intermittently until swelling reaches normal. Whatever that is. Just not knowing how long the sleeve will be my "friend" is rocking my boat of my "new normal".

I have to remind myself that I'm still alive, have had good test results & able to work/play outside (big yippee on that last part). But still, sigh.

Best of all DH & I are going on VACATION a week from Friday!!!!!! And I'm getting injections in both knees so I will be able to walk everywhere!!

Just ignore my semi rant about the lymphedema. I still have too many blessings to complain too much.

Blessings to all & thoughts & prayers to those who need them

Gina

2. Thanks SallyO'Sews, TMP thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New word of the day: Lymphedema

A gal I worked with also had this. She had to wear a sleeve for at least a year, and I know she still wears it on and off if it flares up.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes a mini rant will clear the air and help more than anything. So.... go ahead and then you can move on the fun stuff of getting ready for vacation!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We're here to listen. Sounds like you have a good plan, go on vacation!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are massage therapists who specialize in treatment of lymphedema. You might check into that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to hear your doing ok. Come and talk anytime you want. Ohhh what fun getting to go on vacation. I hope you have tons of fun!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

My mom went through this as well. We were able to find a massage therapist who specialized in lymphedema. She worked with the hospital. She also taught my mom how to give herself treatment. I sat through all her treatments and I can highly recommend the effort to look one up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You will get through this too. VACATION!!! Have the most wonderful time. Where are you going, if I may ask?
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Monique, we're going to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee in the Smoky Mountains. It's our favorite & relatively close to home (about 4 fours away) & are sooo looking forward to it. It usually doesn't matter much to us if it rains. Just a nice place to get away.

The PT I go to does some massage treatments If she doesn't do much I'll ask her for a referral. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks everyone. I know this is the "safest" place for us all. We look out for one another & care. I call it paying it forward.

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't already visited Dollywood, be sure to tour that. There is lots to see & do in the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville area. My SIL & niece live in Sevierville. I made one trip back there in 2004 to visit my bro. (he has since died). We did Dollywood. My niece got us tickets to a Louise Mandrell concert/show; that was neat! We drove through the Smokey Mts., saw the fall colors, had a picnic in the park. My bro. & I went hiking one afternoon in the park on a trail only he could see! Enjoy your vacation.