Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aurifill Thread - what's the difference?

Hi, looking at aurifill thread, so what really is the difference between the 40W and the 50W? Or does it really matter? Is one better for piecing and the other is better for FMQ?

I have a special quilt and I would like to purchase this thread for it, but I just don't get the difference, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.
    There are no perfect quilts, because I am a imperfect quilter.

Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aurifill Thread - what's the difference?

The 40 wt is noticeably thicker than the 50 wt. The 50 wt is for piecing. If you want your quilting to really stand out use 40 wt, if you want your FMQ to blend in with the quilt top use 50 wt.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks giig21, Magicquilts thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    The 40 wt is noticeably thicker than the 50 wt. The 50 wt is for piecing. If you want your quilting to really stand out use 40 wt, if you want your FMQ to blend in with the quilt top use 50 wt.
    Thank you SO much!

Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I buy whatever one is on the orange spool. All I use on the top and the bottom is Bottomline from Superior Threads (for the bobbins). While some complain about the price of Aurifil, it's actually cheaper than most threads when you figure the price per yard of it. I know it's less than Coats and Clarks, but there is so much on the spool, so some think they are paying a lot for it.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    I buy whatever one is on the orange spool. All I use on the top and the bottom is Bottomline from Superior Threads (for the bobbins). While some complain about the price of Aurifil, it's actually cheaper than most threads when you figure the price per yard of it. I know it's less than Coats and Clarks, but there is so much on the spool, so some think they are paying a lot for it.
    I agree! I keep a price book on things I buy often online. A thread is a better deal, especially when it is on sale at Craftsy. I get a couple of cones when that happens.

I have a 40 wt to try for applique and quilting but I buy 50 wt most of the time. Love it and use it for all - piecing, quilting.

7. Thanks Magicquilts thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use 50 wt. cotton thread for piecing. My favorite is RA on the large cones, which I buy at my LQS. Depending on the quilt & how I want the FMQ to look, I use 40 wt. cotton or 40 wt. Glide trilobal polyester. My favorite cotton quilting threads are Superior's King Tut or Signature's single color, not variegated. I use the same wt. thread on the top & in the bobbin.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsladaritz View Post
    I agree! I keep a price book on things I buy often online. A thread is a better deal, especially when it is on sale at Craftsy. I get a couple of cones when that happens.

I have a 40 wt to try for applique and quilting but I buy 50 wt most of the time. Love it and use it for all - piecing, quilting.
    Sorry, but what is *A thread*? I have no idea what that is, and when I went to Craftsy, and searched for that..nothing came up.

Sharon

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    I use 50 wt. cotton thread for piecing. My favorite is RA on the large cones, which I buy at my LQS. Depending on the quilt & how I want the FMQ to look, I use 40 wt. cotton or 40 wt. Glide trilobal polyester. My favorite cotton quilting threads are Superior's King Tut or Signature's single color, not variegated. I use the same wt. thread on the top & in the bobbin.
    What is *RA* is that something different than Aurifil thread? Or is that RA more for FMQ and/or Long arm machines?

Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magicquilts View Post
    Sorry, but what is *A thread*? I have no idea what that is, and when I went to Craftsy, and searched for that..nothing came up.
    I am guessing that means Aurofill thread. Or however it's spelled. I think RA thread is for embroidery and you can buy it at Red Rock Threads.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; May 16th, 2018 at 02:23 AM.

12. Thanks Magicquilts thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

The end result, 40 vs 50, is huge. I switched to Aurifil 50 wt, and the difference it made was amazing. Cost is less than the Coats (at Walmart price) by almost half.

Then there's the lint thing. The Aurifil is so clean compared to other cotton threads. It doesn't eliminate the need to clean your machine, but can extend the time between cleanings. I still clean regularly, but the amount of residue is much smaller, so the chances of getting it all is greatly increased. I'd bet you can run 3 or 4 large (1420 yd) spools of "A" thread, to one small spool of Coats (250 yd?) and the lint buildup is still less.

With the 50wt you can go down a size in needle, which is beneficial in some cases. Thread twist is reduced as well.

Then there's the "scant 1/4" thing. I'm using Bottomline in the bobbin, and the combination with 50 on top results in a more true to size piece. When they say "use a scant 1/4 seam" you can ignore it. It just doesn't give as much material away to the thread.

BTW- the Bottomline, like bubba mentioned, is a 60wt. poly thread. The bobbins just keep going, and going, and going. This thread also contributes greatly to the cleanliness of the bobbin area.

14. Thanks Magicquilts thanked for this post