Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default I messed up......need advice

My first time ever following a written pattern (I usually just watch Jenny's YouTube vids). I'm making a quilt that has multiple borders around a panel. For the first border I should have cut 11 - 1.5" strips WOF. From 4 of those strips, cut 2 - 1.5" x 40.5" and 2 - 1.5" x 24.5". The remaining strips will be used again for border #7.

Well I obviously wasn't paying attention and cut the wrong way. All 11 of my strips are 27" long. My question is, should I just sew them together and cut the correct length or should I buy another yard of fabric? Just worried that a seam in the middle of my border might look bad. But for border #7 it says to sew remaining blue strips together short end to short end.......so I would have a seam in that border anyway.....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I messed up......need advice

Just sew them together. I would use a slightly shorter stitch length of 2.0 and press the seam open or if the seam would be horribly obvious (depends on the fabric) join them at a 45 degree angle and press open.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to my world, I mess up all the time. Denise is on the ball! Great solution!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big believer in 45 degree seams for borders. The look of my quilts improved vastly once I started using this method. My one caution is that you measure carefully before deciding to use 45 degree seams. There is some fabric lost in the process.

I use Excel to do this. I'd color in each of your 7 borders with 7 different highlights. Then I'd figure out how long each border needs to be. Add length for some waste on those 45 degree seams, double the width of your border fabric for each seam. So for a 2" border you use 2.5" fabric and would have 5" of waste for a diagonal seam.

Best of luck!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep...use what you have. You won't be able to see the seams from a galloping horse.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, would seam it at 45 degree angles. I'd be more inclined to purchase more fabric for the outermost border than the innermost if you need to buy more. don't ask me for logic behind my thinking, that's not always apparent to the OCD like me ;-)