Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default painting cabinets

Has anyone painted their kitchen cabinets? Mine are dark and dingy looking and I would love to paint them an antique white to brighten things up. I am wondering what kind of paint you used and how the cabinets held up. I would not want to go through all the trouble and have them chip and peel shortly.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: painting cabinets

There is cabinet paint at the hardware store. My DH refused to use it, and just used regular old wall paint. We did a lot of touch ups with the left overs and a water color brush, but only on the lowers. That seemed strange to me, that the uppers didn't need touching up as much.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

3. Thanks Astatoo thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

We painted the kitchen cabinets about two months ago. I looked on the web & used this website (mainly because the pictures kept me going):

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-pai...e-paint-248186

It was a lot of work & I was mad at hubby several times but it looks great!

5. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Astatoo thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I know several people that have painted their cabinets. It is a tedious job. You have to be willing to take your time and do it right. It requires lots of patience. From what I've heard and seen, the paint job will last a few years but will eventually start to peel. That's just my second-hand advice as I have never attempted to paint my own cabinets.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had my dark cabinets painted white. The man who did them used porch paint, yes like you would paint a porch. He took the doors off and spray painted them and hand painted the rest.. It really did give them a hard finish. I have had no chipping or discolor. This was in 2014 ago and I love them. He told me that he recommended not putting a clear top coat on because it made it harder to touch up. I have touched up a couple of spots but other than that it still looks like the day he finished them. The paint he used was from Lowes Bistro White 7006-4 Valspar. It really made my kitchen look brighter and cleaner.

OMG totally embarrassed I cant get that silly elf on the shelve picture off this post!!! I am so bad at posting pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dec 2014 108.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	152406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dec 2014 018.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	152407  
    Last edited by TMP; May 13th, 2018 at 04:18 PM.

8. Thanks Astatoo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just a bit of advice - make sure the surfaces are clean before applying paint. TSP works well to remove any oils or grime.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TSP-All-Pur...leaner/3014065
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

10. Thanks Astatoo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Strip them, then use enamel.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

12. Thanks Astatoo thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

We had our cabinets painted twice. The first paint job looked good for about ten years. Then we had them painted again, as we were selling the house. The second time I took a couple of days to strip them. We hired our painter to prime, fill any nicks, and then paint. He used an alkyl enamel paint from Sherwin Williams. The paint was expensive per gallon, but it goes a long way. The cabinets looked great.
    Diana Grey

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I painted my kitchen cabinets at my old 100 year old house four different times, with just a brush not spray paint. I used regular wall paint, they never chipped but I did wash them down real good before painting to get any grease or dirt off. If you are taking the doors off to paint them in the garage make sure you mark where each one goes otherwise you might run into trouble putting them back on the hinges again. Taking all the hardware off was almost as much work as the painting part, but I did not have a power screw driver either.

As a side note, the second last time I painted them I was going through a shabby chic phase and painted them kind of a vanilla color then sanded the edges and some in the middle and around the handles to make them look worn. It was a lot of extra work but I loved the result, I am sad I never took photos. (My dh thought it was a little strange but he didn't really care since I was doing all the work.) About six months later we put our house on the market and the realtor said "Oh, no no no, this will never fly. No one will like these cabinets distressed like this. You have to paint them again." So I painted them one last time, that time gray. And the house did sell.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; May 13th, 2018 at 05:46 PM.

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just refinished my oak cabinets. Wipe them down with paint thinner or mineral spirits to remove the grease and grime. Then lightly sand them so the paint or poly will adhere correctly. If they are a nice wood, you might want to just consider leaving them wood and using a good quick drying gloss. It really brightened up my kitchen