Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: painting cabinets

This product was amazing and has held up extremely well. Used it to refurbish some very old kitchen cabinets in a very very ugly state and full of dirt and grime which had to be cleaned. https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...ransformations Lots of color choices both light and dark. Used Krud Cutter to clean them (I use it for many things; works like a charm.) https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...al-krud-kutter. Recently sold the home and the big talk of the house was the kitchen! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	152414 Wish I had a before pic, but I can't find one easily.
    Last edited by MHG Winnower; May 14th, 2018 at 06:40 AM.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

2. Thanks cv quilter, Astatoo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, I would remove the doors. Clean all surfaces with TSP. Rough sanding (just to scuff up the surface)and priming would be tedious but important for a good bond with the paint. I'd use a high quality paint meant for that particular job. You want the paint to be washable so you can clean them as needed. I highly recommend putting on new hardware. I would select something that stands far enough away from the door as possible so fingers aren't constantly touching the doors when opening and closing them. That is the area where most of the wear and tear happened on ours. We put inexpensive porcelain knobs on ours which was not a good choice. I think it's better to invest a bit of money on the right hardware.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't painted cabinets but it is on my list for this summer in our kitchen redo. My mother painted her years ago and they held up very well. Thank you for that great link Carolnnc - lots of good info and detailed steps! I've been researching this for months. Yes, it will be a lot of work but it will be a great transformation and will save a ton of money. A friend of ours is having someone paint their kitchen cabinets for $7,000! That is a Lot of money!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

5. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is something I would like to do, but we have a large amount of surface to do. Lots of cabinet doors and a long bar. The house hasn't been redone ever, and it's about 40 years old, so it's high time. Ugh! I need someone to come in and tell me what I want, lol.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

What's the best product to use to fill the holes from old cabinet hardware? I know some of the filler products shrink after awhile.
    Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love the elf! Don't take off the post.

Gina