Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Newbie quilter from MInnesota...Hi everyone!

I recently just started sewing within the last 6 months, and when I made my first quilt a couple months ago, I was hooked! I am in love with this hobby! I canít wait to keep creating and I look forward to learning from all of you! Hereís a little about me and the joy and healing quilting has provided me...

I am a wife and mother of two beautiful daughters. My youngest daughter has severe nonverbal autism and is significantly developmentally disabled. My oldest daughter has developed severe depression and anxiety over the last couple of years, which has caused her to need significant treatment and help as well. Both my girls are the lights and loves of my life, but their significant needs definitely take a toll on me, and some days I feel very overwhelmed. My purpose in disclosing this is not to give you a sob story or for pity, but to demonstrate how much quilting has been therapeutic for me. It has become my outlet, my escape. It relaxes me, challenges me, and has helped me get through many days. I am so grateful for that, and I canít wait to keep creating!

I canít wait to meet all of you, learn from you and see your beautiful creations! Thank you for accepting me to the forum! Hope you all have a great day!

2. Thanks mommadeb, Star lover, Virginia F thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie quilter from MInnesota...Hi everyone!

Welcome from Washington! I'm guessing you are only about six hours away from all the shops!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

4. Thanks RPquilter18 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from sunny Florida!

I know what you mean about quilting being an outlet, an escape, and a comfort. I find that creating and giving help me more than wallowing around feeling sorry for myself. (My son said yesterday... out loud even), Mom, you're not the crazy cat lady. Thank goodness. You're the crazy quilt lady. Part of me was like.... it's a good thing I'm not the crazy cat lady- they give me hives! I'll stick with quilting.
    Katrina

ďNothing can dim the light which shines from within.Ē
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks RPquilter18 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to the forum from So. Cal. I am glad you found us. I totally understand the need the sew for sanity's sake. I admit I lost my mojo starting out the year, but I believe some of it was just near burnout time, sewing many items on such a short time frame for holidays and other gifts. Today I will be working on couple of teacher's gifts for my grandkids teachers. Greenbay packard material wine bags.. That's what my DIL suggested. At the end of the school year (elementary school) I would welcome a bottle of wine too as a gift if I were a teacher. Saw son yesterday and will see daughter next week, so mothers day is ALL MINE, no committments of any kind today. Just mine - all mine!.

8. Thanks RPquilter18 thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of sewing and quilting. A lot of nice folks here so I'm sure that you will enjoy yourself here.

10. Thanks RPquilter18 thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I am new to quilting too and I also have a child with severe autism. My sweet boy has limited speech, adhd, and cognitive issues, as well. Parenting him can be a bit of an emotional roller coaster. It has been wonderful to lose myself in the quilting process... just looking at, arranging, and touching fabrics can be so soothing. I'm glad you're here and have found such a great outlet.

12. Thanks RPquilter18 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. I agree, quilting can be very therapeutic. Hope you enjoy your time here on the forum. We are a bunch of quilting enablers!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

14. Thanks RPquilter18 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from central Wisconsin. I am sure you will enjoy your time here as much as I do!

16. Thanks RPquilter18 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Wisconsin! As you are discovering, the possibilities are endless when you are making quilts. And when there's no time to quilt you can catch up here on the Forum or go on Pinterest for eye candy and ideas. You will make lots of friends here and we will enjoy getting to know you better. We also talk about a lot of other stuff besides quilting!

18. Thanks RPquilter18 thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. I have also found that quilting can be healing. I have found quilts not only help me but many times they touch those who otherwise do not have a voice. Sometimes it is the colors, sometimes the art fabric, sometimes the combination of shapes and order seems to calm the soul. I strive to be able to become such an artist that others gain a voice through my quilting.
    For me, I had to learn to take time for myself so that I could attend to the challenges of my family. Quilting and NAMI classes have helped me learn to take care of myself so I can take care of others. I can not wait to see your creations.

20. Thanks RPquilter18 thanked for this post