Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frlustrating afternoon

I just spent the better part of the day attempting to make Jenny's Baby Blocks quilt.
    https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...ilt-with-jenny

To make the legs of the star she says to measure one of the 4 blocks you previously put together using 2 1/2 inch strips. She measured hers and it was 9" so she cut her squares for her 1/2 square triangle to 9" and proceeded to make them. I watched her count out the 9" and cut and make those danged triangles. She then sewed them together to make the star. Her's fit just fine.....mine...not so much. I cut them 3 freakin times and they were still too short. I admit I'm very challenged when it comes to cutting fabric straight, but I didn't think I was this challenged!!!

Somewhere in the back of my head a little voice kept saying "you need to cut them larger to achieve the 9" finished 1/2 square triangle" But Jenny didn't do that.....sooooooo after ripping the darned thing apart 3 times, I went online and googled 1/2 square triangles and sure enough the site I came to said to cut your square 7/8" larger than you want the finished square to be, she even said to cut a full inch larger to have room to square up.

Ok, so armed with this new information, I'll give it another try. Not tonight though - I'm in the recliner, feet up, cold adult beverage at my side.

And if I could spell the title of this post would say Frustrating afternoon instead of whatever garble it says

2. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frlustrating afternoon

I had the same problem when I tried to make it - just threw it into the cupboard (a year ago) until the other when I pulled it out again to finish. Problem is I've used some of the fabric since - will have to try something new!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I make HSTs, I always allow "wiggle" room for trimming. I cut the squares 7/8" larger than the desired size, then trim. I'd rather trim off a little rather than have them be too skimpy & come up short. I hope the next time you work on this project things go better. Is this the one you're trying to make? The Baby Blocks Star? Of course, I made mine differently because I wanted the quilt to be rectangular rather than square, so I added to the top & bottom. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Blocks Star Quilt - June, 2017 008.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	152352

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joy, yours is really beautiful

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Joy that's the one I was attempting to make. I really love yours.....it's awesome. Did you have any trouble following Jenny's tutorial for it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made three of these quilts and found that I needed a scant 1/4" when sewing the 4 strips together and when assembling the blocks. Each block should measure 8 1/2". When Jenny mentioned the 9" triangle, which includes 1/2" for seam allowances, she didn't mention that this would be attached to an
    8 1/2" block, in fact, I think that section of the video was a little vague. I can see where there might be confusion.

Since your block is bigger and you don't need to do any ripping, just make the triangle piece bigger as Joy suggested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	babystar.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	152354  
    Last edited by Sharyn J; May 11th, 2018 at 08:05 PM.

9. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Carol,

Check the written information in the video transcript. She mentions the legs are 8 1/2 inches in the last paragraph.

Hope that helps.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I just received the printed pattern. It says the pieced rectangles sewed together should make a 8 1/2 inch block, and the squares used to make the triangles are cut at 9 inches. Thanks for the warning, I'll cut mine larger when I start it. I've always found the patterns look so easy when Jenny does them, not so much for me!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished a couple of these. Tops done but not put together yet. I thought she said her blocks were 8 1/2” so she cut her squares for the HST 9”. This barely gives you much trim room so on the 2nd one I cut them 9 1/4”. Worked out well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26B6EE44-FF44-4B02-AB30-31B9BA77B4B7.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	152392
    First time posting a picture. It is upside down. Sorry...��
    Last edited by GrandmaE; May 13th, 2018 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Error in posting photo