Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help how to quilt/attach 2 separately quilted top and bottom?

Hi all. I bought a wall quilt kit which instructs to quilt the top (randomly sewn fabrics), then attach my multi-piece applique (poppy). The pattern creator finished it with an "Envelope" quilt edge-ing. I would rather do a traditional edge (bind). So, if I then quilt the back; how should I attach the quilted top with applique to the quilted back?

My first thought was to sew the applique then quilt the sandwich traditionally. But the pattern instructions stress quilting the top BEFORE apply the applique.

Please, any ideas?
    Thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help how to quilt/attach 2 separately quilted top and bottom?

"My first thought was to sew the applique then quilt the sandwich traditionally."

You could still do that (and what I would do too), but perhaps be careful not to quilt over the applique so that your poppies will still POP. Of course then the backside would have areas that don't have any quilting (where the poppies are), but really with a wall hanging is that even a problem?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Caroline T, I agree with attaching the applique first then traditionally quilt since you're wanting to bind the quilt any way. You could follow the lines of your applique with some of the quilting then quilt the background any way you want to.

The most important thing- there are no quilt police! Even if there were, we wouldn't tell!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you could share a picture of the pattern it might give people a better reference for advice.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Just because a pattern tells you something it isn't necessarily the easiest for you. Aplique then quilt then bind.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the only reason to quilt the top first before applying the applique is because she (pattern designer) is using an envelope backing. I'm with everyone else. No quilt police, so do it in the method you prefer. If you're sending it to a longarmer, you might even consider attaching it after the quilting is complete.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your ideas. The designer used fusing with "heat-set" product (Liquid Thread) for attaching the applique post quilting the top. Which makes sense except the kit came with precut fusible-backed shapes for the poppy (I prefer to sew these). I'm inclined to quilt the top, then attach and sew the applique. My decision is whether to include the backing when I quilt the top and allow the applique stitch to show on the back or add the backing post applique. The poppy pretty much covers the entire area, so if I quilt post applique there really is much area to quilt. Name:  Blushing_Poppy.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  19.5 KB

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I meant: There really is not much area to quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know your skill level, but you could always do some thread painting, or other quilting over the applique. I would be inclined to do the applique first then quilt all three layers, but that's just me.