Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fabric bleeding

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric bleeding

Quote Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
    boil the backing in a LARGE kettle of water with a "goodly" amount of salt in it. Always works on my red material.
    That’s a great tip too. Thanks!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to everyone that left suggestions for me to try with my backing fabric bleeding. I knew I could count on the Forum for help! I plan on using a combination of your solutions and taking it to a laundromat washer that uses more water. I'll post what happens. Thanks again!
    Judy

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judy V View Post
    Hello! I need your advice. I was given an antique quilt top. The fabric we purchased for the back is a medium blue (a little darker) print that’s 108” wide. I have washed it 3 times and my color catchers are still coming out a robins egg blue. I dont want to spend the money to have this machine quilted only to have it ruined in the wash. The first two times I washed it in warm water to try and get as much extra die out as possible. The last time I washed it in Woolite in cold water and it’s still bleeding. I’m rinsing it in white vinegar water which I thought would help set the color. The fabric was quite expensive. The front is an off white with 30”s prints in a wedge/Dresden pattern. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance. I figured if anyone would know what to do, you guys would!
    Thanks,
    Judy V.
    Thank you to everyone that gave me suggestions on how to stop my fabric from bleeding. The cure was the dryer!I dried it once but still didn’t trust it as it’s going on an antique quilt top. I washed it one last time, used a color catcher and two 5” squares of white fabric and the fabric came out white! Hooray! Thanks again everyone. I can’t tell you what a relief it is to not have to worry about this anymore

4. Thanks Monique, Claire Hallman, chelea thanked for this post