Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scant 1/4 in question

Does Jenny use a scant 1/4in? She always says sew on the 1/4 in seam and I wasn't sure if the scant was assumed or if maybe she sews right on the quarter.
    Thanks
    Jeannie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scant 1/4 in question

I can only guess from watching her sew seams in her tutorials. She uses a straight stitch machine that has a narrow presser foot that sews a 1/4" seam. She mentions on occasion that she needs to use a scant 1/4", but I think she does 1/4" seams on most projects.

Your name caught my eye, as I am also Jean F, for Frances. My middle name. Welcome to the forum, hope you join us often in the forum discussions.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think she cares. just going fast for videos. 1/4 regular I would guess.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard Jenny say that her quarter inches are "fat" quarter inches, which I interpreted to mean the opposite of scant: 1/4" plus a few more threads. I think it was on one of her early disappearing pinwheel tutorials. The numbers for cutting into thirds only worked because of her "fat quarter inches."
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome and the answer!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing is to be consistent in which ever you use.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about Jenny's 1/4". It depends on the pattern you're using. Some blocks won't come out to the desired dimensions unless you use a scant 1/4". Just make sure to square up all your blocks to the same size. It's best to square as you go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a machine that has the needle position option, then getting a scant 1/4 inch is very easy. Simply move your needle over to the right a little bit. Sew a test piece. Play around with the needle position until it measures a thread's width less than 1/4 inch, that is your scant quarter inch setting. Easy peasy.

If I am doing a pattern with no seams or points that need to match, then I don't bother, I just use my 1/4 inch foot and leave the needle position where it is. (Which for my machine is a true 1/4 inch.) If I am working on a quilt that will need matching points or seams, then I use the scant 1/4 inch for that quilt. Either way, it's simple and easy to accomplish.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh... the old scant 1/4 myth. What is a scant 1/4? I've mostly seen a scant 1/4 described as the thickness of a thread.

Let's put this into perspective. The typical Coats thread from Walmart measures about .006", 50 wt. quality thread is .004", and 60 weight is roughly .0035. That's on average the thickness of a piece of 20lb copy paper. For those more comfortable with fractions, the average thickness of thread is about 1/200th of an inch. How do you measure that? The graduations on your typical ruler, seam guide, or cloth tape is about .020"- about 4 or 5 threads thickness.

A perfect scant 1/4 (if described by the thickness of a thread) in practicality, is not achievable on a sewing machine joining 2 pieces of fabric. There is no way your could even measure the difference, given our measuring tools and fabrics, in seams sewn with a "true" 1/4, and a scant 1/4. Two hundred blocks sewed end-to-end would measure 1 inch longer if the described scant 1/4 were achievable. Your method for pressing seams will have a greater effect than this.

This degree of accuracy and repeatability isn't even doable on the best woodworking equipment- too many variables, as in fabric, of the medium being joined. Heck, even your sewing machine produces a stitch to stitch offset that is off by a "scant" 1/4, but you can't see it.

Don't stress over a scant 1/4- it ain't worth it. Be consistent, keep stuff square and as equal in size as is possible with our fabric and tools.

10. Thanks The_Last_Unicorn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jenny takes a generous 1/4" seam. Consistency is the important thing. There are times when a scant 1/4" seam is important, especially when sewing seams that have points (such as star tips). By using too large of a seam you can lose your star tips.