• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quilt_gems_25
    Block Queen
    • Feb 2017

Hot Chocolate in the spring?

My DD asked me to get dry milk powder from the store for a hot chocolate recipe she got from online. Talk about amazing. It was like a dessert.
    First add some powdered milk to regular milk and thicken it with corn starch over a low heat stirring the whole time - about half the amount of cornstarch you would use for home made chocolate pudding. After that, turn off the stove so the milk does not get warmer. Then, add some of your favorite chocolate. She used some mint chocolate chips that we had. Stir these into the thickened milk until well blended. If necessary, heat to your desired temperature for chocolate milk. Pour into cups and top with a generous amount of whipped cream. If you do not like it so thick, thin it with more milk and heat to desired temp.
    I cannot wait until the winter to fully enjoy it after shoveling the driveway. I think I might try it cold while the weather is warm.
  • TMP
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2014

Re: Hot Chocolate in the spring?

This sounds yummy ! My grands would love this.
    Teresa
    Pelham, Alabama
    War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Patty J
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

Why wait for winter?? I could use some today, it is cold here again, mid 40's after being in the 80's yesterday. Sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for posting--I'm going to make some now I have all the ingredients, including some Kalua (spelling) LOL

Comment

• laura44
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2014

Do you have exact measurements?

Comment

• quilt_gems_25
          Block Queen
          • Feb 2017

I do remember 1 tsp corn starch to 3 cups milk. The dry milk added makes it richer. I would probably add 1/4 to 1/2 cup or so to the milk. The chocolate depends on how you like it. She put about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chocolate chips into the mix. As far as whipping cream, I like to whip it up in a cold bowl and I use at least 1/4 cup so there is enough to whip.
          Originally posted by laura44 View Post
          Do you have exact measurements?

Comment

• quilt_gems_25
            Block Queen
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Patty J View Post
            Why wait for winter?? I could use some today, it is cold here again, mid 40's after being in the 80's yesterday. Sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for posting--I'm going to make some now I have all the ingredients, including some Kalua (spelling) LOL
            My sister would especially love your addition. I am a more coconut or mint kind of girl.

Comment

• auntstuff
              Missouri Star
              • Nov 2017

Nothing wrong with having it in the summer either. You still drink coffee, right?
              She who dies with the most quilts is......
              Still dead.
              What's your hurry?

Comment

• Shyla
                Beginning Stitcher
                • Aug 2018

Hi @quilt_gems_25 ,

Try my recipe tooo. I sware that you will like this.

Ingredients

3 cups milk
                1 cup heavy cream
                1/2 cup sugar
                1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
                Kosher salt
                6 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
                1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
                Marshmallows or whipped cream, for topping

Directions

Combine the milk, heavy cream, sugar, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the sugar and cocoa powder dissolve and the milk is steaming; do not boil.

Whisk in half of the chopped chocolate until melted, then whisk in the remaining chocolate until smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla. Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows or whipped cream.

Comment

• quilt_gems_25
                  quilt_gems_25 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We are having cooler weather tomorrow after the storms pass so I am going to have some of this then. Thanks again.
              Working...
              X