Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Postal service food drive?

I put out things last year and they never took it.I got a bag in the mail for next Sat today. Do you have this in your area? Do people steal i? Does a mail person not pick it up? I'm ready to fill it but not sure this is the best option for this program.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Postal service food drive?

I don't think I have ever heard of the USPS collecting food in our town. They may and I just might not be aware of it. I think its a nice idea. How very sad if people do steal it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We used to do this in our town many years ago. Can you drop it off at the post office instead of leaving it outside? Seems like a great idea.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

They’ve done that in our area before. I think I would take it to the post office.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

The Letter Carriers food drive is nationwide and is the largest one-day food drive in the US. It is spearheaded by the National Association of Letter Carriers (city letter carrier's union) with the cooperation of the US Postal Service. Community volunteers load the food into vehicles/trucks for transfer to food banks. I seem to remember that the rural carriers participated also (not really sure on that). I do remember that donations came in after food drive day and were picked up about a week later. So I would say that you could bring your donations to the post office as long as your post office is staffed with city letter carriers (because they definitely participate because it is their union that organizes it).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Last year the whole neighborhood never got picked up. I'm talking blocks and blocks. I guess I'll try one more time. maybe last years carrier was just lazy. lol.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got the bag, too. My question is our boxes are way down the street... leave the bag there or here at the house on the porch?
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Katrina, my guess would be to leave the bag by the boxes. This makes me realize that I don't remember getting the bag last year. At my old house we did get it every year. It was always gone later. I'll see if we get one this year. We don't have a dedicated mail carrier, so they could decide to skip it. I also don't pick up my mail every day, since it's down on the next street. I get the emails daily telling what mail is coming, so only go if it's something important or I think the box is full.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they do that in our city, but I've never participated. I figure the mail carriers have enough to do without hauling food, too. Our local groc. stores have food drives & have boxes at the store.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Yes, they do that in our city, but I've never participated. I figure the mail carriers have enough to do without hauling food, too. Our local groc. stores have food drives & have boxes at the store.
    Funny you should say that because my husband is a mail carrier and he said that it's hard to get volunteers to help pick up the food. He has a walking route in town and said he would put a few items in his bag but you can only carry so much along with the mail. They would ask the people from the food bank to help pick up the food along the streets but they don't want to. Sadly, our post office doesn't advertise this event anymore because of the lack of help.
    Tracie