Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to fix this?

I have started quilting a 80" square quilt...a very geometric design (sorry no photos on this computer) and wanted to do simple straight line quilting top to bottom using my walking foot and spacing the lines 1" apart. I have done about 7 rows starting from the centre and moving out...I have used painters tape and also drawn lines to mark out my registration lines to ensure I sew straight. I have also been using my walking foot spacing guide. BUT wouldn't you know it, I have discovered with my monocular vision that I cannot for the life of me sew a straight line...can't stay "on" my marked guide lines and depending on the angle of my head, despite my walking foot guide being "on" or looking as though it is "on" the last line, I am still sewing a crooked line. So, taking out the 7 rows I've done is not an option so I need a plan to go forward that will best hide my wobbly lines.

So, would a simple crosshatch hide my wonkiness? Perhaps doing some diagonal lines to break up the wonky straight lines visually? Perhaps matchsticking it so the lines are closer to each other and don't "stand out" so much on their own? Any ideas please?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best way to fix this?

Only a robot can sew a perfectly straight line. I think your best bet is to space your straightish lines non uniformly. So if the original plan was to space them at exactly one inch intervals break the intervals up non uniformly. Go 0, .4, 1.0, 1.6, 2, 2.3, 3, 3.5, 4 etc...

It has been my experience that wonkiness shows up even worse in a cross hatch pattern. Crosshatch patterns are also more prone to tucks unless you have one of those nifty IDT walking foot.

Matchstick quilts looks wonderful, and it will help hide your wonkiness. Matchstick means lines approx 1/8 inch apart. It takes forever.

Good luck.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DeniseSM, I was just thinking over a coffee that the grid may make it look worse so I was pleased to check my post and read your comment confirming my thought. I am thinking that your uneven line width suggestion is a good option but as I have now done about dozen 1" rows I may keep doing them right across and then go back and do some uneven rows within the 1" columns, say 1/4" then 1/2"...move to next column...1/4", 1/4...etc. Or maybe just do one line in each column but not necessarily in the middle of th column........this would sort of give the same effect as you suggested?Thanks for your time and opinion, most appreciated.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Fill in some slightly curvy lines amongst those wonky straitish lines, it will be beautiful.

6. Thanks PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just4me View Post
    T done about dozen 1" rows I may keep doing them right across and then go back and do some uneven rows within the 1" columns, say 1/4" then 1/2"...move to next column...1/4", 1/4...etc. Or maybe just do one line in each column but not necessarily in the middle of th column........this would sort of give the same effect as you suggested?
    Unless the throat of your sewing machine is enormous it will be really difficult to go back and add lines between the existing 1" spaced lines at the center of your 80" square quilt. When you quilt the lines the quilt gets stiff and it is harder to stuff it through the throat of the sewing machine. Easier to add the randomly spaced lines as you go.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Make them all wonky on purpose. Planned design element.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    Make them all wonky on purpose. Planned design element.
    Great idea and much easier to implement. Since you already have the first 12 lines spaced one inch apart and straightish, just makes the lines more and more wonky as you precede towards the outside edges of the quilt. Now it is a planned design element. No marking either. Bonus!

10. Thanks Marley thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest to Denise’s strategy working. Also, sufergirls too. I added a wavy line between my wavering straight line and it looked interesting to me.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling a bit more confident now about tackling the problem now that I've read your ideas.

13. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the serpentine stitch on my Bernina in place of straight lines. Works very well.