Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Member from Nebraska

Just wandering around MSQC and discovered the forum so, naturally, I felt compelled to register. Born and raised in Grand Island, NE. Moved around a lot in my early adult years, served in the Army and was stationed at Ft Lee, Virginia. After my husband and I married, we were both civilian employees at Ft Leavenworth, Kansas. Once he retired, we put our house up for sale and moved back to Grand Island as his parents and my mother were both getting up in years. Best decision we made. All three have since passed on but we wouldn't give up the additional time that we had with them for anything.

I learned to sew on my mother's Singer 221, better known as a Featherweight, when I was finally tall enough to sit in a chair at the dining room table and touch the foot pedal and I've sewn ever since. About 6 years ago, I decided that I should start my own business as a seamstress. Even though I had no idea what I was doing, I also started upholstering because "it's just sewing but on a different kind of fabric." LOL -- I was so clueless about what it entailed. But I figured out what I was doing on my first upholstery project and that has become my bread and butter. The alterations, formal wear, custom machine embroidery, etc are the "fun" projects that I work on weekends and evenings if I'm involved in a large upholstery project.

It's been a lot of fun but the upholstery is hard on my body as my lower back is fused. DH and I talked and we both agreed that the time has arrived to shelve upholstery other than dining room chairs, patio furniture and other such smaller projects. I am currently upholstering a large restaurant in Hastings and my last install date is the 14th of May. I've also applied for Social Security, beginning in August. I'm going early (62 in July) and so will need to watch how busy I am with the business until I reach "full social security" age.

I'm really looking forward to scaling back my business as I love quilting and making doll clothing but never seem to find the time. I took a paper piecing class at our LQS probably 10 years and only need to sew on the last row of sashing and then I'm ready to make my quilt sandwich and do the actual quilting and have just never had the time to finish it, along with an assortment of other quilts that have been started and then "temporarily" put aside until I have more time.

I've been stock piling a great assortment of "tiny" print fabrics from MSQC that are so perfect for sewing doll clothing. Just waiting for August to start sewing. So excited I can hardly stand it.

I have 3 customer quilts to finish and a pair of overstuffed recliners to finish upholstering between May 15th and August 3rd (date my first retirement annuity will be deposited in our checking account. I'm already quilting one of the quilts and the other two will be ready for quilting by week's end so I should have my ducks in order by the end of June I'm hoping. Would love to start my reduced hours in July but we'll see what comes in the doors between now and then.

Didn't mean to ramble on so long but I am very verbose.

Virginia
    Last edited by Virginia F; May 5th, 2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: wrong word choice

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Member from Nebraska

Well hello Virginia and welcome to the forum from Michigan! So glad you "found" us......this is a great place to get ideas.....vent....find answers.....encouragement.....
    Hope you enjoy it as much as many of us do!

Attachment 152234

4. Thanks Virginia F thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Virginia! Welcome aboard!!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

6. Thanks Virginia F thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Arizona (We were stationed at Ft Lee, VA twice)

8. Thanks Virginia F thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Ohio. You will find this forum to be full of helpful folks. You will find "retirement" lots of fun, but it will take time to make the adjustment. My, you have been such busy people!
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

10. Thanks Virginia F thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Virginia,

Welcome to the Forum! I'm actually visiting your wonderful state at this very moment, as I have four grandchildren here. When I first saw "From Nebraska," I thought that maybe we should meet for a coffee. But, I'm hours away from you, so I guess that won't work. I have driven through Grand Island before, and it is quite beautiful.

By the way, I thought it so cute that you have OTHER PEOPLE'S quilts to finish before you can finish your own. Good women always do things for other people first! You may end up like Jenny, whose kids bought her a quilting machine so that she could have a little retirement income and she ended up a Quilting Star!

Congratulations on approaching retirement and, again, welcome to this forum. It's a lovely place to hang out.
    Last edited by GuitarGramma; May 5th, 2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azmotogirl View Post
    Welcome from Arizona (We were stationed at Ft Lee, VA twice)
    I was in the 204th QM Battalion, 16th Field Service Company. Where were you assigned?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Virginia and welcome from FL!

I think you'll find retirement is fulfilling and very busy. As I was reading, I was wishing you were closer. I have a chair I'd love to have reupholstered but am clueless as to what to do.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

14. Thanks Virginia F thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    Dear Virginia,

Welcome to the Forum! I'm actually visiting your wonderful state at this very moment, as I have four grandchildren here. When I first saw "From Nebraska," I thought that maybe we should meet for a coffee. But, I'm hours away from you, so I guess that won't work. I have driven through Grand Island before, and it is quite beautiful.

By the way, I thought it so cute that you have OTHER PEOPLE'S quilts to finish before you can finish your own. Good women always do things for other people first! You may end up like Jenny, whose kids bought her a quilting machine so that she could have a little retirement income and she ended up a Quilting Star!

Congratulations on approaching retirement and, again, welcome to this forum. It's a lovely place to hang out.
    LOL, since the other quilts are for paying customers; their quilts have to get top priority. I did take the time to quilt a couple of baby quilts for two of my nieces. Have a couple more quilts started for other nieces but had to put the brakes on them so that I could get the restaurant finished.

Very excited to be at a point when I can finally start doing more things that I want to do (most of which involve sewing of course). Where are you visiting in Nebraska?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Missouri! Name:  Welcome to the Group.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  13.0 KB

17. Thanks Virginia F thanked for this post