Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP - May 4 to 10, 2018

Getting though the busy time at the office, which means the next week should be a good one. Unfortunately, there is outside work this time of year. I need to mow. It's been raining a LOT here in eastern Kansas, which means the yard is taking off like a bunch of green rockets! We seem to have catapulted from winter with snow just three weeks ago straight into summer with temps in the upper 80s F.

I've almost finished the little section (6 X 18 inches) of EPP for "It was the 80's", though I still need to applique it down to a background. In the "Solstice" pattern that I'm using for the layout for this quilt, there are several sections of low volume checkerboards, and I'm subbing in a couple of miniature blocks, some crumb piecing, and this EPP panel.

I need to really focus on getting the next several blocks pieced, though. I am falling behind on my schedule if I want to have it to the LAQ this summer.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP - May 4 to 10, 2018

This is what is under my needle this week and perhaps for several weeks to come. The quilting is my favorite easy, and most forgiving pattern to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0615.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	152222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0614.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	152223

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That is beautiful quilt and quilting, Clare.

Yesterday I picked my friend and drove to LQS. I had rented long arm to quilt my friend's quilt for her daughter. My friend is in end stage liver disease and wants this quilt done. Her daughter used it for 10 years as a flimsy in university and had been washed. Seams needed to be repaired and my friend replaced some parts that had faded. Her sewing is not precise so the quilt is wonky in size, but I took it as a challenge to quilt. We got it done in one day, and now my friend has to find the fabric she bought for the binding. I told her I would make it and attach it once I square the quilt. Then I will get a bunch of quilt friends together so we can hand sew the binding. Then we will celebrate with our friend her finished quilt for her daughter.

While I was making the bobbins the night before, I started quilting the friendship quilt that I sandwiched earlier this week. It should get done fairly quickly. I'm getting in a groove. Now to carve out a few half days next week to work on it. I also volunteer on Monday for Victoria quilts, so there will be another top to add to finish. So far I am keeping on top of them.

My sewing room and stash is organized and I hope to have extra space after I sell at the fabric flea market. I don't want this coming back and from past experience, I usually sell most of what I bring.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

5. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sewing along. I almost finished the next ten blocks. Just need to join the bottom row to the top two rows. You can see that the star in the center is subtly different in color from the first 10 blocks which will give a nice ripple effect to the water.

Name:	100_4164.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	152233
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

7. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Well after spending 2 weeks messing with Dresden plates and putting them away for the time being, I finally finished a UFO from my list - I've posted it in show and tell. It's very basic but I'm happy with it and DH loves it!!

I have a Linus quilt sandwiched which I will quilt tomorrow evening. In the afternoon I have to make a large cushion to go on my wooden outdoor bench now the warmer weather is here.

On Monday we are going to the caravan for a couple of days and have my bag of handsewing ready to take. DH has promised me a trip to my favourite fabric shop as they have a new range of plains in and I've run out of cream - what an excuse.

Hope everyone has a good week and hugs to those in need.

9. Thanks kimsophia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:	row  of houses c.case.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	152255
    row of houses from Lynn Atterberry;. Looks like swap blocks measuring 11x11 and 6x 11 trees Top is together and it will be going out to the LA quilter The first of next month.. This is another project for the local abuse center.

Have to get my machine to the repair guy.. feet dogs are stuck in the down position and I can't get them to release for some straight line quilting or sewing . Next week is a bunch of tests happening for possible surgery. Not going to be a fun summer from the looks of this beginning. Dang!

11. Thanks Star lover, Claire Hallman, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Friends,

Did I mention last week that I took a bad tumble down the stairs? I've been nursing some terrible bruising on my feet that has made it hard to do much. However, I made myself a mountain of new underwear, and some new tee-shirts for summer. So, at least there's been some gain.

I paused on my pillows, still in limbo about a quilting design. I am cutting new fabric for a quilt for a friend who is fighting prostate cancer. it is a relatively simple pattern so hopefully will come together quickly. Another dear friend has esophageal cancer, but I have a plan in mind for him that sits in my house in Atlanta right now, I'm hoping to finish both quilts up and ship them out by July 15 along with care packages from our friends and colleagues here at school.

I'm in total denial about packing and shipping out my sewing studio, it's the best workspace I've ever had and it will be miraculous if I ever get this much space to myself again.... It might be one of the things I will miss most about Kazakhstan when we leave!

13. Thanks threadbndr, Star lover thanked for this post