Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default So what is the Shriner Project?

Astratoo asked me to post for the newbies amongst us as to what the Shriner project is. Well, here goes.

Three years ago, I started quilting for a small group of old Shriner Men who raise money for the Greenville SC Shriners Childrens Hospital. I sewed and we auctioned off quilts. Then, someone on the forum suggested that perhaps a raffle would raise more money, so we made a raffle with 20 quilts in the raffle so with a $1 TICKEt you would have 20 chances to win. (now I live in a pore Appalacian county with 450 square miles and 13000 people) Not many people to ask for a ticket sale but we went for it. The forum members were very generous that first year and sent a few quilts to help and I volunteered to quilt them (I was just learning to FMQ) and they sent me fabric and thread and tops and some finished quilts. That year, I think, could be wrong , we raised about $6700 with quilt sales and raffle sales and auction sales. Last year, more forum member jumped up to the plate and send more and more supplies and quilts and tops and we raised a bit more than $9000. The men in the Shriners group are so thrilled and they think "my little quilt club" is the best group of people ever.

Shriners donate 100 percent of the money raised to the hospital. (if a buyer of a quilt would like, we will let him/her pay for it and donate it back to the hospital and a Shriner will pay to have it sanitized and sent to the childrens Hospital for the kids) Two wins there. There is no money held out for parties, administration or even the cost of printing the tickets. Each Shriner (and we are down to only 10 old men now) is required to sell or buy 100 tickets. This year, since I don't have the restaurant to head up the quilt sales, they are talking about requiring each Shriner to buy a quilt...lol...

It takes more than a million dollars a day to keep the hospital running. If your child is in need of their services there is no income requirement and you will never be charged a penny ... its free.

I head up this quilt project because I am truly blessed. I have 6 children between DH and myself and 19 grands and we have been so blessed that they are all healthy and well and we have never required these services. Woe unto those who have not been so blessed and I want to help ease the horrible pain they must endure.

Our forum members are truly the most loving, generous group of people I have ever encountered. Last year we had more than 30 quilters step up to the plate and donate something,, some much more than you can imagine. They cleaned our their stashes, donated orphan blocks, found left over/ odds and ends of thread and they sewed. So if you are looking for a place to empty your clutter and fill up our hearts you can send your donations to:

Terry Ausband
    315 Grant Shelton Dr
    Marshall, NC 28753

We sell the finished quilts for 5 cents a square inch...baby quilts $50...larger quilts by the inch. Some people want to know that their work is valued, so that's why I added this footnote.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So what is the Shriner Project?

Thank you Terry, both for the post and all your hard work. You do such a beautiful job on everyone's donations.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

3. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the story. I knew why you were doing it but don't remember hearing the start with the old men. Your quilting has gotten superbly better and I think you should charge more for the raffle tickets!

Lorie

5. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I tried a separate raffle for the Harley Davidson quilt that I made and everyone really wanted it. However, I thought $5 for the tickets for a separate auction was a good idea. It was the hardest sell I had. We sold 100 tickets and it felt like it took forever. At $1, we could have sold 500 tickets in half the time I think. People don't worry about $1 but they really think twice about gambling $5 for a possible win. Anyway, I do appreciate the compliment and the suggestion. We will try just about anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Thanks for the story. I knew why you were doing it but don't remember hearing the start with the old men. Your quilting has gotten superbly better and I think you should charge more for the raffle tickets!

7. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to continue this worth while deed. I just want to let you know that your dedication to Shriner's hospital is catching, a few of my friends and I are contributing quilts now to the local Shriner's Children's hospital fund raisers. You are an inspiration!

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

9. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, thanks for posting the background story again. I had forgotten a few of the details.

You have done an amazing job of growing this fundraiser.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

11. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am excited for all of you . Is your local hospital a specialty hospital like crippled children, burn center ?... Are you just giving them the quilts for the kids or are you trying to raise money for them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Astatoo View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to continue this worth while deed. I just want to let you know that your dedication to Shriner's hospital is catching, a few of my friends and I are contributing quilts now to the local Shriner's Children's hospital fund raisers. You are an inspiration!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

What a beautiful story about your quilts and donations. They are sure to touch many lives and bring comfort to others.

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I am excited for all of you . Is your local hospital a specialty hospital like crippled children, burn center ?... Are you just giving them the quilts for the kids or are you trying to raise money for them?
    Personally I donate them and the Shriners use them in silent or basket raffles at some of their fund-raisers.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

16. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for refreshing my memory Terry. I had forgotten how you got started.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

18. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post