Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

Good morning! I'm in the market for another machine and have been looking at the Janomes in the $1000-$3000 range. I don't need one with embroidery option as I have a fabulous embroidery machine already. The 8900 really caught my attention until I started reading reviews of it. It seemed to be split between love/hate of the machine. LOL!

There isn't a dealer anywhere near me to test the machines so I'll be ordering online. I currently have the Juki 2000qvp, which is a workhorse. I LOVE my Juju. But, and maybe she has just adapted to my thicker fabrics for bag making, she is not the best at quilting or sewing finer fabrics. I haven't made a quilt in a couple of years and I'm itching to use all these MSQC precuts I have. And I want to do some clothing refashioning.

Please tell me which Janome machines you have and would recommend. I've looked at the 6500, 6700, 7700, 8200, and 8900. These are all in my price range. I don't need 500 stitch designs but I do need great fmq, even feed, consistent stitches, not thread finicky, large harp, computerized. I had the Juki 2010q and it was great.....for the first couple of months. Then things started breaking and stitch quality became erratic.

Thanks for your comments and assistance!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

Wish I could help but I haven't shopped for a new machine for a while. In fact this morning I started looking at machines because a friend is in the market for one and asked me for advice. In this case she is looking for something under $500 so a different market then you are looking at. My sister bought one of the big Janomes a couple years ago but as far as I know she hasn't used it for anything. I own an Elna and it does great work and I have had it for 10 years. The Elna and Janome are similar in many ways, I love my Quilters Dream 7800. I know, no help. Sorry.
    Sue

3. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Janome 6600 for quilting. $1499.00 in 2013. I would recommend taking the free classes if you buy from a dealer. I took the class my dealer offers and then took it again after I experimented with the machine, because then I had questions I didn't even know I needed to ask at first. (Last machine was not computerized). Also has tons of stitches.

5. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.janome.com/en/products/m...kyline-series/
    Take a look at this line, I have heard great things about these machines also. I own a Janome and could not be happier with mine. Do take classes if available. I also have two workbooks that have been a great help. There are other Janome owners here, I am sure you will be hearing from them.

7. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Janome 6600. I originally bought it just as my machine for FMQ. I also had a Bernina that I used for my other sewing. But the more I used the Janome the less I used the Bernina and ended up selling that to a friend. The Janome is my all around machine now and couldn't be happier with it. It is a workhorse and sews like a dream. Has everything I need for FMQ plus lots of decorative stitches that I used a lot when my granddaughters were babies. I use the dec stitches now on receiving blankets too.

9. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got my 8900QCP 3 years ago, and for the past year since I retired, I sew every day. I don't fmq but do straight line quilting and the throat space is great. It's not finicky with thread at all...I've used Coats, Connecting Threads, MSQC, Aurifil. It makes a nice stitch on auto (I never fuss with tension). The screen is a good size, the buttons are intuitive, I love the jog dial. It was very easy to learn...I didn't take classes. It's only been in the shop for routine maintenance, have never had any issues. So I highly recommend this machine as durable, dependable and fuss-free.

11. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Husqvarna Viking girl for the past 45 years. I have bought the 965Q in December and FMQ'd 65 quilts since then. You do not need classes, you don't adjust tension, it never needs oiling, its easy to clean the lint from the bobbin area and it has a 10 inch throat. I am so NOT mechanical that I must have a machine that can take care of itself. When I do something it doesn't like, it tells me on the screen. It uses any kind or size of thread without complaint. Retail is $2495 but I think you can get some free stuff like a sew easy table...a free upgrade in the first year...just ask. I upgraded to this machine from the 960Q that I had bought a year earlier and only upgraded because it only cost me a few hundred more to get a brand new machine that hadn't already made 200 quilts.

13. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 1600 pqc that I bought used along with a Grace frame. I can't give you much info as I have not had time to really use it yet, but it is a mechanical straight stitch (best for piecing) with a large harp and is super fast. They sell new for around $1200 I believe.
    Donna

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a Janome 6600, it truly is a workhorse, loves all threads, very fast but does have a slider to adjust the speed. I have fmq a large double quilt on it. But I also have a Handi Quilter Sweet 16 for almost all of my fmq, but believe it is out of your price range at $5,000+.

16. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Another very happy 6600 and a wonderful machine. I think the 6700 is an upgrade to the 6600 by Janome, more features, larger throat space, etc.
    Since you can't actually sew on your choices, maybe visit Patternreview and see if there are any reviews on the machines you are interested in. Also maybe do a google search for reviews that will give you some inside into the machines.
    Here is a link to pattern review:
    https://sewing.patternreview.com/

Do a search for whatever machine your are interested in.
    Good luck and whatever machine you end up with, Enjoy!

18. Thanks g8dhorse7 thanked for this post