Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default San Francisco quilt shops?

The thread about flying in and out of SFO got me thinking....

what are the best quilt shops in the area?

My sister moved out there last fall and I will be going out at some point, so would like to start making a list of places to visit. If not this summer, next summer I plan to go in July and make it up to Sisters, OR.

She lives in Mill Valley - north of the bridge, but I would like to hear about any shops in the area.

TIA!
    Donna

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: San Francisco quilt shops?

Well, this is south, in San Mateo. I used to live in Foster City so it was close, haven't been in years. It was always a fun place to shop.
    http://www.alwaysquiltingonline.com/

Eddie's Quilting Bee is much further South, in Sunnyvale. For my taste a much better fabric selection, although smaller. I don't think I ever left there empty handed. https://www.eddiesquiltingbee.com/

I'm not as familiar with the North or East bay. I'm sure there are plenty out there!
    Heather

3. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the North bay and there is not much here. However, in Petaluma (which is north of us) there is a shop called Quilted Angel that is supposed to have a lot of fabric. I didn't make it in past the door because of a snippy salesman. I've heard good things about the fabrics there but I've also heard complaints about that one salesman.

In Sonoma, there is a great shop called Broadway Quilts. The people are wonderful there.

Here is a partial map to give you an idea about the distances.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	152119

Jeannette

5. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and if you go to San Francisco itself, check out https://www.britexfabrics.com/ . They aren't known as a quilting store but as a mega-fabric and notions store. The website will give you a good idea what you can find there. I've heard lots of good things about this store but haven't made it in to check out yet.

Jeannette

7. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyJnet View Post
    I live in the North bay and there is not much here. However, in Petaluma (which is north of us) there is a shop called Quilted Angel that is supposed to have a lot of fabric. I didn't make it in past the door because of a snippy salesman. I've heard good things about the fabrics there but I've also heard complaints about that one salesman.

In Sonoma, there is a great shop called Broadway Quilts. The people are wonderful there.

Here is a partial map to give you an idea about the distances.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	152119
    Thanks! We have a store like that but instead of being snippy, the salesman is determined you will not leave that store until you have purchased a new (very expensive machine) from him. I no longer go there.

I will try to check out the fabric store in the city - sounds fun!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyJnet View Post
    Oh and if you go to San Francisco itself, check out https://www.britexfabrics.com/ . They aren't known as a quilting store but as a mega-fabric and notions store. The website will give you a good idea what you can find there. I've heard lots of good things about this store but haven't made it in to check out yet.
    Just remember they are closed Sundays! I have only been there once when they were open.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

10. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Floridian! Mill Valley is a beautiful place to visit.

Two more shops to try:

Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics
    Fabrics, sewing supplies & classes
    2518 Shattuck Ave ·
    Berkeley, CA (510) 845-6106
    Lots of fabrics and quilts on display. It's a trip across the Bay, but BART is available.

I have not tried this one, but it's promising. Reviewers say it has a big selection of muted tone Japanese prints and batiks
    New Pieces Quilt Shop
    766 Gilman St between 4th St & 5th St
    West Berkeley, CA 94710

One more thought: Britex has recently moved around the corner from it's original site, so check the latest location.
    Last edited by SF Jen; April 29th, 2018 at 04:54 AM.

12. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all!

Not sure when I will be going - I have a senior dog that I won't leave at this time. When I do go, I hope to be there for a while. My sister works at the VA Hospital so I can take her to work and then have her car for the day when she is working. I would probably have her go with me on the weekend to see exactly where I am going and then I am good at finding my way back.
    Donna