Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brother Embroidery machine? Thread?

My sweet cousin's DH just bought her a new Brother Embroidery machine LB6800PRW.

None of us in our sewing group have ever owned an embroidery machine, so we need help!

First, we need thread and I am considering buying her a 40 cone set of 60wt polyester embroidery thread from Threadart.com

Has anyone used this thread in this machine? Is 60 wt a good weight?

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

TIA
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Brother Embroidery machine? Thread?

I can't wait to see the answers here too! I'm so new at this and the embroidery stuff isn't imbedded in my mind solidly yet :-)

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Donna, not an expert here. However, when I first started doing machine embroidery I jumped in and bought a special offering of over 100 spools - and had issues with it on my machine. What I finally did was order a couple spools of thread from different companies to try out - and have found that with minor adjustments, my machines will sew with just about anything.

My suggestion? Buy one or two spools of your ThreadArt, try some Superior, try Mettler, Madeira, Gutermann, Sulky, Floriani . . .

Some people like Rayon threads, some prefer Poly - I'm a poly person because I've found that a lot of the rayon threads will fade if used on garments that are frequently laundered.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

4. Thanks cv quilter, dwil23, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Sandy. I found most of the less expensive thread would break often, but you could manage to use it by slowing down your machine.

6. Thanks dwil23, Sandy Navas thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new machine.

I haven't used that brand of thread so can't help you with the quality. Yes to the suggestion to buy a few spools and see how the machine works with them first.

I have used Floriani, Exquisite and Brother's line of thread. Generally, no issues with any of those brands. If issues occur, a needle change or re-wind of thread usually takes care of the problem. I don't stitch at the top speed on either of my embroidery machines either.

Good luck and have fun!

8. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did try two spools of thread from Threadart. I purchased the 40 wt thread not the 60 wt you are considering. I was disappointed in the thread. The cone does not have a snap lock base so there is no way to secure the thread for storage. The worst problem is the thread does not feed uniformly off the spool. I can see it jump periodically out of the corner of my eye. When it jumps it causes a surge in tension and breaks. I tried putting a thread net over the spool and it helped a great deal. However it breaks more often than any other thread brand I have ever tried. I will never purchase this brand again.

Good luck.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

10. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my Brother PE 770 I also bought the 100 spool Thread Art package. I've used numerous colors and never had a problem. The only thing I don't like about them is that there is no way to secure the thread after you use them. I've also used this thread on my Bernina 880 when doing embroidery.

12. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, Oh my....Sandy's post is SO reminiscent of my experience. My machine was on order...I was excited...I ordered 100 some threads...I got my machine..my machine did not like them..I now pretty much use them for my other machine piecing 'cause I don't know what else to do with them. I am pretty much sticking with R/A threads and am just now trying another brand .. Metro, after reading others who have had good luck with them (supposed to be comparable to R/A. Hoping they are OK. So far so good....but I bought a package deal and now have 64 of Metros in various colors. Different machines like different threads. Maybe I'll have all of those spools just being "pretty" in my sewing room.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Metro much better than the Threadart. The package deal seems like a good value

https://metroemb.com/store/index.php...ry&path=72_115

https://metroemb.com/store/index.php...&path=72_73_97

Here is an explanation of the different brands available at Metro. The difference between the brands in our website is the tensile they posses. Metro Classic is average tensile thread. It works perfect in home embroidery machines or machines that go up to 600 stitches per minute. Sigma is Medium- High tensile, it works on both home base and professional embroidery machines that go up to 800 stitches per minute. Then comes Metro Pro/ Elo and Glide. These threads are High tensile professional embroidery thread. They can go up to 1000 stitches per minute in both home base and industrial machinery . The difference in Price between them is that Metro and Elo are manufacture in china and Glide is made in the Us alias the price. But in the end thread choice is up to the costumer, their needs and those of their machines
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

15. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Viking Opal 670 & use R/A 50 wt. cotton thread almost exclusively for piecing. I use the Eggshell color for lighter colored fabrics, & the med. gray for darker fabrics. My machine is happy with thread. I buy the large cones from my LQS.