Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your machine quilting thread of choice?

My sweet DH bought a Babylock Jazz after my back surgery last year. It got put on the back burner after I got done with chemo, surgery etc. My sewing machine dealer showed me the 50wt Mettler brand. I told her I wanted the most for my money & asked about the larger cones. She kept telling me they were for embroidery machines. So here I am. Coming to the people I trust most to see what you guys used. I don't have a longarm machine but have begun to drool a bit (sorry for the drool, lol). Anyway, after looking thru my manual I know for general sewing/quilting that 50wt is the best weight but unsure what brand is the best & where do you get yours?

As always

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's your machine quilting thread of choice?

I use three different types of thread for machine quilting

Glide, 40 weight, a shiny polyester. Best price from Metro Thread
    https://metroemb.com/store/index.php...&path=72_77_79

Connecting threads 50 weight cotton thread. Lintier than Aurifil or Superior Threads, but at their price an excellent value. Goes on sale at least twice a year, one of which is sometimes during the Black Friday weekend. Also comes in variegated colors, and in cones.

https://www.connectingthreads.com/th...__L600902.html

Connecting Threads 70 weight matt polyester thread. Hard to find a matt poly thread that looks like cotton. Limited color selections but an excellent value. Very low lint. Best for when you have to do a lot of repeat travel stitching or when you want the texture to show, not the quilt thread.

https://www.connectingthreads.com/Th...__L600909.html
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gina, Hope you’re feeling well enough to really enjoy your sewing. I started out with Mettler 50 wt. because my LQS owner made me believe that it was the only thing that worked. Over time I have converted to being an Aurifil 50 wt. user. I think it’s less linty. I use it for all piecing except when i’m piecing batiks...then I use a 60 wt. thread. My favorite for the actual quilting is King Tut 40 wt. from Superior threads. I am also considering trying Polyester for the quilting. Don’t listen to anyone who starts a sentence with “You can’t...” find what works for your machine and you together. You’re partners in creating beautiful quilts.

5. Thanks Pixie0314 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My choice of thread depends on the quilt pattern, the recipient (child or adult, etc. , i.e. how much use & washing the quilt will get). My options are Signature single color 40 wt. cotton, Superior's King Tut blended colors 40 wt. cotton thread, or Glide 40 wt. trilobal polyester. At our fall Quilt-a-Fair last Sept. I stocked up on several cones/colors of Glide from 2 different vendors. A bird in hand. A little more expensive than on-line, but no shipping, & I could see the colors in person. I'm liking Glide more & more all the time. I like the sheen. It took considerable time for me to adjust the tension on my LA to my satisfaction. One reason I like the polyester is almost 0 lint. The bobbin holds much more thread, too.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Connecting threads thread here as well - it is thicker and lintier than Aurifil, but I like the thicker thread when quilting (except when I make mistakes). Their spools are also much less expensive than Aurifil.

I FMQ on my domestic sewing machine (Huskystar E20).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I the long arm I usually use Superior's Omni 40wt for top thread and their Bottom Line for the bobbin unless I want it to show up more on the back, then I go same as the top thread. My machine likes it. I recently purchased Metro's Pro and Glide so next thing I do on the LA I'll give those a try. The LA hates the Connecting Threads which is unfortunate since I like the colors and price.

For regular sewing I've tried the MSQ cottons for the microwavable things I do otherwise I just use whatever I have around. With the embroidery I generally use Superior's Bottom Line for the bobbin 50 wt. I don't know what the top threads are since it came with the machine and I never could find a brand name. I have used Superiors Twist for some things and I love that but can't always use it if the design is really compact.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I use connecting threads machine quilting and have been very happy with it. I do need to clean my machine after 2nd bobbin change.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I took a FMQ class I was told that poly embroidery thread was fine for FMQ and since I have lots of it that is mostly what I use. If I don't have the color I want to use then I switch to cotton. I also almost always use bottomline in the bobbin.
    Glide is embroidery thread and is what the super quilter extraordinaire in our guild uses.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I like Aurifil 50 wt. for piecing and 40wt. for quilting. I generally go to the LQS to color match in person with my project, then order online when I find a color(s) I like.
    Make sure to adjust your needle size accordingly, and have fun. Glad you are feeling up to using your new machine.
    Heather

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comparison. I just bought a Babylock Soprano, was told to use Mettler cotton
    thread also. Making the top, fine, quilting it, not fine at all. I had so much trouble with
    skipped stitches. The dealer told me "to slow down". I changed thread and no more problems.
    I have tried Guttermann, Aurufil, and Connecting threads. All 50 weight. Got some good deals
    on Ebay. Told not to use Coats and Clark as the oils in the thread would not be good for the machine.