Juki TL2010Q won't sew with cotton thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hinesmx17
    Shiny Thimble
    • Apr 2018

Juki TL2010Q won't sew with cotton thread?

Help!! I am fairly new to the quilting world. I just recently purchased a Juki TL2010Q and every single time I try to use cotton thread, it breaks. I have tried changing the tension & different needles. It sews wonderful with polyester thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • lauratreky@comcast.net
    Binding Belle
    • Oct 2012

Re: Juki TL2010Q won't sew with cotton thread?

Originally posted by hinesmx17 View Post
    Help!! I am fairly new to the quilting world. I just recently purchased a Juki TL2010Q and every single time I try to use cotton thread, it breaks. I have tried changing the tension & different needles. It sews wonderful with polyester thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have the same problem. My bobbin does not like the cotton thread and unwinds unevenly. I have found the only thread my machine likes is Gutermann (sp) thread. It is polyester and works like a charm. I have machine quilted many quilts with my machine and never had a problem as long as I only use polyester. It is a compromise, but I love my Juki so I live with it.

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
      Missouri Star
      • May 2013

I used aurifil with my Juki, worked awesome
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• Midge
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2014

I have used Aurifil of various weights, Presencia, Superior Threads Masterpiece, Sulky Cotton + Steel and Coats Eclectic Elements specialty threads, all cotton in my Juki TL2010q. I'm not sure what you mean by the bobbin unwinds unevenly. You are using the bobbin winder on the Juki to fill your bobbins? Are you putting in the bobbin correctly? Is your bobbin spring in place in the bobbin case? I've heard of people losing them, and I did have mine come out once. Are you using real Juki brand bobbins or those sometimes crappy generics from China? I too succumbed to the lure of cheap bobbins only to find out that they didn't fit the bobbin case properly after all and my machine wouldn't sew correctly. These are the initial troubleshooting steps I can think of, and I hope it helps you solve your problems. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use any thread you want to use. Something is wrong.

Comment

• DeniseSm
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2013

I sew on a Brother PQ1500SL which is very similar in design to the Juki 2010Q. I both sew and free motion quilt with Connecting Threads cotton thread which frankly is not the best quality cotton thread like Aurifil or Superior Threads. So I knew it should be possible. If you can provide more information maybe we can provide some helpful solutions. My questions are

Where and how is the cotton thread breaking? For instance your answer might be something like the cotton thread always break at the same point in the thread path, right where it goes through the needle eye, and only when I am sewing over a seam joint. This for example would be an indication that the timing is fractionally off and would probably be solved by a through cleaning and oiling of your machine.

When was the last time you oiled your machine? I believe the Juki 2010 recommends oiling after every eight hours off use.

Cotton thread makes more lint. When you cleaned your bobbin did you clean underneath the outside tension spring. Sometimes lint gets caught there.

Are you winding your bobbins at full speed? I have seen many discussions that bobbins should not be wound at more than 800 RPM which would be half speed for the Juki 2010.

Are you using a spool of cotton thread or a cone of cotton thread? If a cone is it feeding of the cone evenly?

Did you do the snap test on your cotton thread? Maybe you got a bad or old spool of cotton thread.

We want to help.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• hinesmx17
            Shiny Thimble
            • Apr 2018

The thread seems to always break at the needle and it varies at what point it breaks. There are times it breaks instantly and some that may go 6-8" and then break. I have tried Aurifil and also other brands (sorry don't know what brand they are). I have cleaned the bobbin area and tensions as well as oiling it. I wind my bobbins at about 1/2 speed. I am using spools of cotton thread. It is crazy that it works with all types of polyester. It can be the cheapest most lintest (I guess that's not a word LOL) polyester thread and it sews its little heart out. I have just about givin' up the idea of using cotton thread.

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts

Comment

• DeniseSm
              Missouri Star
              • Nov 2013

Thanks for the detailed description of where the cotton thread breaks. I did have one instance similar to that ( cotton thread on a spool breaking at the needle eye either instantly or semi regularly at 6 inch intervals.) It turned out that the way the thread was feeding off the spool of cotton thread overhead it was getting stuck on the little notch on the lip of the cotton thread spool. Look on the lip of your spool of cotton thread. Can you see or feel a notch (usually you put the thread in the notch when it is stored so it doesn't unwind and make a mess.) If you find a notch see if you have a spool cap that will cover the notch. If you don't have a spool cap try a tiny piece of tape.

Hope this helps,
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• NoodleDoodle
                9 Patch Princess
                • Oct 2015

I use Superior threads masterpiece in mine. As everyone else said, definitely should be able to use cotton thread. I know you said you've adjusted tension but did you adjust on your bobbin as well? You didn't specify if you just tried top or both tensions. Did you do the drop test on it? My SIL has a brother that kept breaking thread and she was ready to throw the machine in the trash. I had her bring it over and I looked at it. Her bobbin tension was so tight the thread could barely come out. And her bobbin was in backwards(unwinding in the wrong direction) if you haven't already give that a check.

Comment

• Vonnie
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2013

I don't know the answer unless it's you are not using a needle with a large enough eye. I use cotton thread on a cone with mine. The only thread I can't use is the clear thread - snaps it every time.
                  Vonnie

Comment

• Tracie T
                    The Guild President
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                    I don't know the answer unless it's you are not using a needle with a large enough eye. I use cotton thread on a cone with mine. The only thread I can't use is the clear thread - snaps it every time.
                    Same here....I can use cotton but I tried the Sulky Invisible and it just snaps. I thought it was just me.
                    Tracie

Comment

• AMG
                      The Guild President
                      • Apr 2015

I quilted a border right off the bat with my new juki using msqc cotton thread top & bottom. Definitely check the way your bobbin is inserted - I did have a devil of a time getting used to the no bin case going in sideways

Comment

• DeniseSm
                        Missouri Star
                        • Nov 2013

Here is the clearest video I know off on how to check that the tension is set properly on your bobbin case. I know this is a long arm video but the Juki 2010 uses the same type of bobbin and setting it is the same.

Jamie Wallen demonstrates his solutions to end the stress of Longarm Quilting Machine tension issues.

Comment

• just4me
                          Designer Diva
                          • Jan 2016

I have a JukiTL2010Q and use Aurafil almost exclusively. Occasionally I may use Gutterman. As mentioned by others, check that the thread isn't getting caught on the top of your spool....I had this happen and it took me ages to realise why my thread was breaking....it would shred at the needle eye and I thought it was due to the incorrect needle size but it turned out to be that when the thread snagged on the spool, the needle eye was where the thread would finally stretch and snap. Are your poly threads on the same kind of spool?
                          One thing I have learnt.....watch/read/listen to all advice......try it all......one will most likely be your solution; you just have to wade through the rest to find it! And sometimes...what works for one machine may not necessarily work for another, even of the same model. For example, it turns out that adjusting my bobbin tension as per the youtube didn't work so well, I ended up having to re-tighten it a bit to get a good tension. A handy little trick I saw on the 'net for tension was to sew a straight line diagonally (on the bias) on a 5" square of fabric. Then grip the square at each corner with the stitch line and pull evenly until the threads snap. If the 2 threads snap in the same spot, your tension is balanced. Works for me...but for others....who knows!
                          Last edited by just4me; April 27, 2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• hinesmx17
                            Shiny Thimble
                            • Apr 2018

Thank you all so much for the advice. I have not tried the bobbin tension. I am new to quilting and sewing and I am really nervous about messing with the bobbin, especially since I can use poly thread. Don't want to mess that up!!! I have also tried topstitch needles. I think the 90/14? And Jeans, and universal and microtex. I will check out the video on the bobbin.
                            The cotton thread spools I am using does not have the notch on the top. I did have issues with that type of thread on my other machine.
                            Thanks again!!!

Comment

• Midge
                              Missouri Star
                              • Mar 2014

Topstitch needles have a little depression along the needle shaft that the thread lies in as you sew. That helps with quilting. It's sounding more like your thread path is somehow getting hung up, so definitely review some threading videos and double check now that you have figured out that there are no notches along your spools. Are you using straight wound spools or using cross wound? I have found that I have more trouble with the straight wound spools on the TL2010q. Be sure you are using the right spool cap too. Post a picture of your threading if there is still a problem. Maybe someone here can see an issue to suggest.
                              Last edited by Midge; April 27, 2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X