Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Juki TL2010Q won't sew with cotton thread?

I quilted a border right off the bat with my new juki using msqc cotton thread top & bottom. Definitely check the way your bobbin is inserted - I did have a devil of a time getting used to the no bin case going in sideways

2. Thanks Midge, hinesmx17 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the clearest video I know off on how to check that the tension is set properly on your bobbin case. I know this is a long arm video but the Juki 2010 uses the same type of bobbin and setting it is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks Grey Lady, Midge, hinesmx17 thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have a JukiTL2010Q and use Aurafil almost exclusively. Occasionally I may use Gutterman. As mentioned by others, check that the thread isn't getting caught on the top of your spool....I had this happen and it took me ages to realise why my thread was breaking....it would shred at the needle eye and I thought it was due to the incorrect needle size but it turned out to be that when the thread snagged on the spool, the needle eye was where the thread would finally stretch and snap. Are your poly threads on the same kind of spool?
    One thing I have learnt.....watch/read/listen to all advice......try it all......one will most likely be your solution; you just have to wade through the rest to find it! And sometimes...what works for one machine may not necessarily work for another, even of the same model. For example, it turns out that adjusting my bobbin tension as per the youtube didn't work so well, I ended up having to re-tighten it a bit to get a good tension. A handy little trick I saw on the 'net for tension was to sew a straight line diagonally (on the bias) on a 5" square of fabric. Then grip the square at each corner with the stitch line and pull evenly until the threads snap. If the 2 threads snap in the same spot, your tension is balanced. Works for me...but for others....who knows!
    Last edited by just4me; April 27th, 2018 at 09:00 AM.

6. Thanks hinesmx17 thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for the advice. I have not tried the bobbin tension. I am new to quilting and sewing and I am really nervous about messing with the bobbin, especially since I can use poly thread. Don't want to mess that up!!! I have also tried topstitch needles. I think the 90/14? And Jeans, and universal and microtex. I will check out the video on the bobbin.
    The cotton thread spools I am using does not have the notch on the top. I did have issues with that type of thread on my other machine.
    Thanks again!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Topstitch needles have a little depression along the needle shaft that the thread lies in as you sew. That helps with quilting. It's sounding more like your thread path is somehow getting hung up, so definitely review some threading videos and double check now that you have figured out that there are no notches along your spools. Are you using straight wound spools or using cross wound? I have found that I have more trouble with the straight wound spools on the TL2010q. Be sure you are using the right spool cap too. Post a picture of your threading if there is still a problem. Maybe someone here can see an issue to suggest.
    Last edited by Midge; April 27th, 2018 at 11:00 AM.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have my Juki a long time and it will sew with anything. I have never needed to adjust the bobbin tension. In addition to the regular tensioner have you adjusted the subtensioner, including the number of holes the thread is threaded through just before the subtensioner?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have only used two brands of thread in my 2010q. The first I really wanted to work for less lint and cost. It was Superior So Fine brand but not for me. I switched to Aurifil and no more thread breaking.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I gave my Juki 2010q to my daughter. I loved that machine. You are right about it liking some thread better than others. Mine liked Mettler and Gutermann. One silly thing I did when I first got the machine was insert the needle wrong. It was very particular about that.

With my new Juki the lady that installed it told me to find one thread get the tension right and not switch brands. She recommended Superior Threads King Tut and to use this in the bobbin and on top.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same machine and I never have trouble with any thread I use. I do use an 80 or 90 needle. I use C&C, Connecting Threads, Aurafil, Gutterman. anything, and I have no problem

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have a new Juki as well. Check your threading. I had the thread shredding and while it looked as if was threaded properly, the thread was catching where it shouldn't have been. Then, the thread was hooked on a part of the needle threader and that was causing issues. I did have to put a needle with a smaller hole in to get the right tension. Oh and I've been told that universal needles are just about useless.
    I hope you find your solution soon. I love sewing on the Juki. It's really given me a renewed spark for sewing.