Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default RANT of the day: Shipping costs

It sucks living here and buying from down there!! I have been looking for a few things but shipping up to Canada is ridiculous. I am looking to maybe have a few things shipped to my friend in Pennsylvania and pick up when Bonnie and I do our road trip in June.

Anywho, my rant is over. Thank you.

**Disclaimer** This is directed at shipping costs in general NOT at any particular store.
    Last edited by Monique; April 25th, 2018 at 08:03 AM.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RANT of the day: Shipping costs

It really doesn't seem fair, to cost so much to cross an imaginary line in the dirt.

4. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I remember DH griping about shipping costs from different places. He'd do his EBay thing, and it would come down to who had the best price with the best shipping.

It seems it takes a special kind of stupid to charge more for shipping than the item costs to start with. I guess my Scotch-Irish is showing.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    It really doesn't seem fair, to cost so much to cross an imaginary line in the dirt.
    There was one thing in particular I was looking at, $25 to ship here, $3 for a US address or most places free to ship in US. Not fair indeed.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Monique,

May I join you about the shipping costs? I recently ordered two quilt applique patterns from Canada. The shipping was $12.00 on them. The cost was almost a deterrent to order them but not quite enough.

Oh well, the patterns are adorable and I really wanted them. LOL!

Great idea to grab and stash each others orders.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I will add my frustration. I live in a rural area and sometimes can't find a certainan item.. I ordered a pattern which cost $9 and change. I used my Visa card and when I paid my Visa bill, I paid something over $23. Shipping was an extra $9 and then foreign exchange rate was the rest. I should have ordered a few more patterns as they would have all been shipped in the same envelope so shipping would have been the same. I don't think I will order again.
    Last edited by sew-what2015; April 25th, 2018 at 09:45 AM.

11. Thanks Anitamae56 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't understand the shipping cost differences-especially for Canada-is this a Canadian imposed deal or US?

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have to come to the defense of retailers on this one. The cost of shipping to Canada is expensive! And I think the biggest issue is that the Canadian post office charges an arm and leg up here. When I moved up here, I was shocked at the prices of domestic postage in Canada and international is MORE. There just isn't an inexpensive option. If you ship something from the States, the price includes a combination of US postage and Canadian postage ($$$) as well as possibly import fees.

For a lot of my US purchases, I have it shipped to a receiving company and then drive down and pick it up. Or when I know I will be visiting my father, I order a LOT and have it waiting for me.

The fact that M*QC offers shipping below cost is one of the reasons I am a fan!

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Update on Shipping Charges:

I received my two patterns today. The shipping charge was $5.15 on the envelope via Air Mail. It is the only stamp on the envelope. I paid a shipping charge of $12.00. Somebody made a couple of extra bucks on shipping. LOL!

PS: The patterns are adorable and I am happy!

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Update on Shipping Charges:

I received my two patterns today. The shipping charge was $5.15 on the envelope via Air Mail. It is the only stamp on the envelope. I paid a shipping charge of $12.00. Somebody made a couple of extra bucks on shipping. LOL!

PS: The patterns are adorable and I am happy!
    They charge for the envelope, any packing that went into it, and the hands that filled it.