• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Star lover
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2016

Wishing Wednesday....yes, it's really Wednesday....Trivia: Chess

The earliest chess sets from India and Persia didn't have pieces called queens.

. Albania. Made of ivory and dates from 475 A.D.

Instead, the piece that stands beside the king at the start of a game was known as the counselor or farzin (the spelling varies).

. Scotland. Made from walrus tusk and dating from 1150 A.D.

There were knights on horseback and pawn foot-soldiers similar to what we find in standard chess sets today, but there were no bishops. In some early variants of the game, the pieces in the bishop's position were elephants dressed for battle.

. Uzbekistan. Made from ivory, dating from 760 A.D.

In early 1849 Nathaniel Cook, Howard Staunton's editor at the Illustrated London Times, designed the Staunton chess set at a time when players were refusing to play with each other's pieces because of the difficulty in distinguishing the various chess pieces.

The main patterns prior to the Staunton pattern were the Lund, Merrifield, Calvert, Barleycorn, Selenius and St George patterns. Cook used symbols in their plainest form.

The King had a crown, the Queen had a coronet, the Bishop had a miter, the Knight was a horse's head, the Rook was a castle, and the pawn was a ball. The horses' heads were based on the Elgin Marbles.

These were designs found in the Parthenon frieze and taken to England by Thoms Bruce, 7th Lord of Elgin, in 1806. The pawns were developed from the freemason's square and compass. Every symbol was supported on a plain stem rising from a heavy, wide base which gave stability.

The design so impressed John Jaques, leading wood carver, that he immediately suggested making the pieces on a commercial basis.

• Blondie
    Missouri Star
    • May 2010

Re: Wishing Wednesday....yes, it's really Wednesday....Trivia: Chess

Anita, I just love the trivia you find to come up with. I am not good at chess.
    Being me, I play it like checkers. I have no strategy. lol.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

Thanks for sharing, it's so interesting where these things come from. Imagine, no queen!

I have no patience for Chess. My uncle tried, my kids love it, but me... nope, no thank you. We didn't really play many board games in my family. We did play card games, Canasta was my favorite. Dad loved Rook and played at work during lunch, and played Solitaire at home every evening. He could tell by the deal if he would win or lose the hand. I never played enough to that accurate in predicting winning or losing.

The kids loved UNO, and I had a book of card games at one time. They loved Snip, Snap, Snorem... sad, I don't even remember how to play it now.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• sew-what2015
        The Guild President
        • Jul 2015

Thank you for posting all the great trivia. I read it every day.

Comment

• Simply Quilting
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2013

Thank you for the trivia information. The children and I like to play chess. Oldest ds is really good at using the knight which is the one I have the hardest time with.

Comment

Working...
          X