Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thursday Trivia: Blondes

Fashionable women in 16th-century Venice bleached their hair blonde with concoctions made from ashes, white wine, barley straw and other less savory, more toxic ingredients.

There even were accessories developed for the purpose, including applicator sponges, lightweight linen shifts and wide-brimmed hats without crowns. A woman would apply the bleach to her hair and put on the hat, which shaded her face but left her hair exposed. Then she'd sit on her terrace in the hot sun, wearing her loose-fitting white linen shift, letting the sun bake the goop into her hair.

Attachment 151936

There are records of women developing heatstroke, headaches, nosebleeds, and even blindness in their quest for blonde hair.

Unfortunately, the mixtures they used to lighten their hair often caused hair loss, so they resorted to making wigs from the hair of their blonde war captives.

Some interesting facts about blondes:

- Just two percent of the world’s population is naturally blonde.

- The Melanesians of New Guinea are the only dark-skinned group of humans known to have a high blonde hair rate.

Attachment 151937

- Just 1 in 20 white American adults is naturally blonde, and roughly the same ratio applies to white northern Europeans. Virtually 1 in 3 white adult females bleach their hair to a shade of blonde.

- Northern Europe has the most blondes. Finland is thought to have the highest proportion of natural blondes.

- Hydrogen peroxide was discovered in 1818, but there was little application for it until 1867 when it was found that it could bleach hair. It quickly became popular throughout Europe and America, superseding everything else that had been used as bleach before then.

- Blond beards grow faster than dark beards.

- Blonde-haired heads have more strands of hair than dark-haired heads. Blondes have approximately 140,000 hairs compared with 108,000 for their darker counterparts. Blondes typically have more hair than brunettes

- Blonde women are more susceptible to age-related macular degeneration (AMD), an eye condition that can cause blindness.

- Blondes produce less melanin, which leaves their skin more susceptible to skin cancer.

.......and I'm not a blonde!

2. Thanks SallyO'Sews, KPH, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thursday Trivia: Blondes

I was a blond once, for 2 days! Never again!

4. Thanks Blondie, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I naturally had to stop and read this about blondes! Interesting stuff. The Norse in our dna must be very strong considering both my Mom and Dad had brown hair. Daddy had blue eyes and Mom's are brown turned hazel. All three of their children are blue eyed blondes. Two of my three are blondes, one is a strawberry blonde. My hair used to be blonde - it turned white and now is blonde again. I do look better blonde than white haired. My complexion is sorta flour and milk stirred together.
    I knew most of facts about blondes - hair density, etc but wow, this was a fun read. Thanks!

Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I died my hair light brown once but it turned sort of blondish. Thanks Anita. Now I am starting on the salt and pepper look, still more pepper than salt though.

Maizyn says her other grandmother is old cause her hair is all white now, and says she is older than me (I love her), lol!!
    Last edited by Monique; April 19th, 2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So interesting. I tried going blonde gradually when I first met my hubby. Got stuck in a strawberry reddish blonde stage and he said go back to your natural brunette. Now I am silvery gray...he still says go back to your natural brunette. LOL.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a natural brunette.....with white frosting! Yup, I'm going with frosting!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I was a redhead at birth, then went whitish blond as a kid, then turned brown by 10 with streaks of blond. I haven't seen my natural colour since I turned gray in my late 20s, so it's been shades of brown with blond streaks all the way to strawberry blond. My daughter has the red hair, now strawberry blond. My son was blond until his teens, then turned brown. My mom still has her hair dyed blond, she's 94.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

13. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    Interesting. I was a redhead at birth, then went whitish blond as a kid, then turned brown by 10 with streaks of blond. I haven't seen my natural colour since I turned gray in my late 20s, so it's been shades of brown with blond streaks all the way to strawberry blond. My daughter has the red hair, now strawberry blond. My son was blond until his teens, then turned brown. My mom still has her hair dyed blond, she's 94.
    Wow, brought back memories.....I was born a blond and my hair kept changing colors as I grew. My mom, one day (much to the chagrin of my father) put it into a pony and cut it super short. She kept that pony and it looks like tiger stripes with all the color changes......mmmmm, she gave it to me years ago.....wonder where it's at now?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was a towhead (sp) as a child, but my hair darkened the older I got. Enter peroxide - yep discovered it at about age 12 and have been a blonde ever since. My Mom had a fit when I was younger, but that didn't stop me. Funny story - for a very short time when I was about 40, I let my hair go natural.....mousy brown with lots of gray. Wore it that way for about a year - woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and said "I look like crap". Off to the beauty supply store for some good hair color....and by the time DH and the kids came home for dinner I was once again a blonde. To which my Mom said "finally - you look like yourself again."

After that I said I will NEVER be gray again....no no no not me!!! How some ever - last year I let all the color grow out and am now a very pretty white with a little salt and pepper mixed in. I get more compliments on my hair that I ever did in my life. Who knew????

I should add that I became a hairdresser when I got out of high school....and I think I tried almost every color known to man...but always reverted back to blonde.

Have a great day everyone
    Last edited by Carol336; April 19th, 2018 at 10:35 AM.

16. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post