Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Today's Daily Deal

Is $49.50 a good deal for 8 lbs of scraps? It is supposedly 15 yds and that is a lot of fabric! How big are most of the pieces? I like making scrap quilts, but I don't really need any more fabric. On the other hand I am kind of tempted...I know I would never pay full price for this, I think $150. Have you ever gotten sucked into the mystery fabric buy??
    Last edited by jjkaiser; April 21st, 2018 at 12:16 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Today's Daily Deal

I was tempted too, but then I thought about where would I put anymore fabric? lol, space limitations are good for something.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I once did a mystery charm pack. Turned out nice for a baby blanket. Honestly I am not sure I would do it again, as I couldn't find complimentary fabric for the charm pack. But that would be the risk for the "mystery".

Let us know.
    There are no perfect quilts, because I am a imperfect quilter.

Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of mystery fabric. I am pretty picky about what I like and don't like - lol. So knowing myself, I pass on these things.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

5. Thanks quiltingaway, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Why doesn't someone start a mystery swap? Probably everyone has fabric they can't remember why they bought. As much as you can fit in a small medium priority box? Could be yardage, could be 2" scraps, you never know what you would get. Maybe keep passing around what you don't want. Just an idea, and no I don't want to lead it.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

M* had a similar DD not that long ago...here's the thread. https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sh...ystery+quarter.

I am also tempted by the DD, but will pass. I need to make a few quilts before I buy any more fabric!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I passed last time, and I'll pass again. Do I need more fabric? Of course, many would say no, but I have way too many focus fabrics, and I need backgrounds. Maybe if the mystery boxes had a color scheme, I'd consider it.
    The only mystery packs I snap up are Kaffe 20pc FQ bundles. I love them all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nope -- not even tempted. I have too much fabric & scraps of my own. One time I purchased a book which came with 5 free FQs. Most of them were some of the ugliest fabrics I've ever seen. None of the fabrics were ones I would have selected, but I eventually found uses for them, even if it was practice sandwiches for FMQ.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Not remotely tempted. I am too picky about my fabric to go for a broadly defined mystery box like this, even if it is <$4 a yard.

I have done mystery boxes elsewhere, but they were narrowly-constrained categories (I bought a box of 50 Freespirit FQs for $1 a FQ, and -that- was a decent bargain, but there were plenty of pieces I didn't care for).

15 yards of fabric in any print they might possibly carry? Nope.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen mystery bags done that gave you a choice of different categories. Homespuns, muslin, batiks, etc. Also groups of blues, blacks,reds, etc. That would be more doable for me.