• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swietsto
    Prairie Pointer
    • Mar 2017

Re: Binding

Originally posted by ding View Post
    My quilt is 101" x 101" can you work out how much I need I'm going to cut my strips 2 1/2" thank you
    Perimeter of quilt = 101"+101"+101"+101" = 404" running length

# strips needed = 404"/40" wof = 10.1 strips
    so I would cut 11 strips

yardage needed = 11 strips * 2.5"/strip = 27.5" = .764 yards
    so given the need to clean up/straighten edges and to have some for screw-ups, I would get a yard of fabric.

My rule of thumb is that a yard will provide 14 - 2.5" x WOF strips; half-a-yard is 7 - 2.5" x WOF strips. At the quilt shop, I then do a quick calculation of how many strips are needed per each side and that gives me a good estimation of how much fabric I will need for binding.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Star lover
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by ding View Post
      My quilt is 101" x 101" can you work out how much I need I'm going to cut my strips 2 1/2" thank you
      If you're cutting on the WOF, you'll need to cut 11 strips....about 1 yard of fabric. Technically, 7/8 of a yard. a little more never hurt.

Comment

• tesspug
        The Guild President
        • Mar 2013

I always sew my binding on with a walking foot. Otherwise it slips and makes ripples. I used to hand sew the second side on but arthritis is making it very difficult so I tried machine binding by sewing my binding on the back side of the quilt. Then ironing the binding out, turning it to the front and sewing just along the edge of the binding. There is a line on the back just to the edge of the binding all the way around. But the binding is flat and neat.
        Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

• Nesie
          UN-Biased
          • Feb 2018

This video helped me finally get over my fear of binding and I have been quilting for a very long time! (Binding A Quilt in 6 Easy Steps)

Apply binding to a quilt in 6 easy steps. Start and end the binding using a pocket method that requires no math. BUY the tools here...BUY the Shape Cut Plus ...

Comment

• Star lover
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Nesie View Post
            This video helped me finally get over my fear of binding and I have been quilting for a very long time! (Binding A Quilt in 6 Easy Steps)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh90tXr7g4

I just love her style! Thank you!

Comment

• Nesie
              UN-Biased
              • Feb 2018

You are welcome Anita!

Comment

• Mishi
                UN-Biased
                • Mar 2013

Here is a great tutorial on joining bindings. Works perfectly every single time.

Also she talks endlessly about bias binding and does all the math for you. I love that part. http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/

Comment

Working...
                X