Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do you remember

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default do you remember

Do you remember when most sewing machines were sold in the home? THe salesman would come and bring a few machines and sell you one. I bought my first machine, (a white) in 1966 from a salesman who came in the apartment and even had financing terms. A sewing machine was more important than a washing machine since we always had to repair our clothing if not make it.
    My mother bought an Elna the same way in the early 60's.
    I went to China in 1996 and on a tour bus, the tour guide was trying to compare Chinese women to American women. She started by saying that in the 60's every Chinese woman got a sewing machine, in the 70's a washer, in the 80's a cell phone, and in the 90's an apartment. I did not believe that Chinese women got these things as a general rule but the tour was designed to get americans to invest in this new port city we were visiting and they wanted to look prosperous.

2. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: do you remember

Nope I don't remember that, but it is an interesting fact though, especially that a door to door sewing machine salesman would be a man. I know men sew, but back in the 60's I am not sure how many men were doing it. I do remember door to door Kirby vacuum cleaner salesmen. In fact one came to my house many years ago and I almost had to call the police because he wouldn't leave!

4. Thanks sewbizzy, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My dad worked for Singer when I was growing up. I don't know if he sold machines in homes - I know he didn't go door-to-door to do that because he was the manager of a Singer store - but he often went to homes to repair or clean machines. He had many faithful customers because he treated them so well. He would often do simple adjustments or repairs and not charge customers if he knew they were on a limited income or were elderly. When he lost his job with Singer after they were bought out by another company, he went into business for himself and was quite successful because of his business ethics. And though I never saw him sew anything, I have no doubt he could have if he wanted to!

6. Thanks sewbizzy, grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

The Singer machines were sold door to door here in the UK many years ago, we also had the Kirby cleaners sold this way too. Our neighbour bought a cleaner and the salesman was there over 2 hours!!

8. Thanks sewbizzy, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember that either.

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    . I do remember door to door Kirby vacuum cleaner salesmen. In fact one came to my house many years ago and I almost had to call the police because he wouldn't leave!
    I can relate to this. We let him go through his pitch and when he told us the price and we said thanks but no thanks, he wouldn't leave. So obnoxious!

Lorie

10. Thanks sewbizzy, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mom had a treadle ... so I doubt it was a door-to-door salesman. But I do remember the machine being serviced in the house.

Kirby vac and Fuller Brush salesmen were prevalent. I was told when I was born my dad sold Helena Curtis and nylon stockings door-to-door for about a year. But then that was in Chicago during the time of home delivered milk in glass bottles and ice delivery. I still remember hearing the bells on the tinker's bike and stopping him so mom could get her knives sharpened. Great memories!

12. Thanks sewbizzy, grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We had every other salesperson come to our door but I don't remember a sewing machine person. The only brand of machines in our family were Singer, even the treadles. I have four Featherweight machines and I found a receipt in one of them from the salesman who came to the home of the original owner. In another one was a card from a husband who gave a Featherweight machine to his wife for their anniversary. Sweet memories for sure.

14. Thanks sewbizzy, grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember the door to door sewing machine sales.

But I will never again have someone demo a vacuum cleaner! We told them we did not need a new vacuum, we had a rainbow that still worked great. He insisted that he needed to train someone and that it did not matter if we bought one. He insisted that I vacuum a small spot in the carpet. He then proceeded to show me how much it missed. What? He didn't think I would noticed he expanded on the spot! Also, I could vacuum with the rainbow one day, and the next day still get up a lot. It had really great suction.

Come to think of it, I won't have anyone demo something in my home again.

But, I do have a funny story about my Aunt and a carpet shampooer salesman. He came to the door and wanted to give my Aunt a sales pitch. Well, she had just bought a large square of carpet from a thrift store. She asked if he could demo on it. He agreed. She kept commenting on different things, and before he knew it, he had cleaned the entire carpet! Then she sadly told him she didn't think she needed one. I felt bad for the guy because he was real nice and respectful but my Aunt was really tight with her wallet. She had lived through the depression.

We now have a "No Soliciter's" sign on the door. And after someone still came to the door I rewrote the sign and added "No Door to Door Sales!" Have not had anyone since.
    Vonnie

16. Thanks sewbizzy, grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My first sewing machine was bought from a salesman who came to the house. I don't know if it was door-to-door or if we had contacted him someway. It was an Elna purchased in 1962. The only reason I don't have it now is because the tension control broke and there was absolutely no way to repair it. Great little machine.

Think my first Kirby was bought from a door-to-door salesman though.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

18. Thanks sewbizzy, grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember the sewing machine salesmen but do remember the encyclopedia one my father purchased and also me purchasing a set of knives. I have to admit the knives did stay sharp for years and years. The insurance salesmen use to come around too. If I recall I purchased my first sewing machine in the mid 60's from Sears although my mother did have one she had gotten from my grandmother.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

20. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post