Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: do you remember

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: do you remember

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Nope I don't remember that, but it is an interesting fact though, especially that a door to door sewing machine salesman would be a man. I know men sew, but back in the 60's I am not sure how many men were doing it. I do remember door to door Kirby vacuum cleaner salesmen. In fact one came to my house many years ago and I almost had to call the police because he wouldn't leave!
    Oh boy do I remember the Kirby salesman! He came in to my house - I had a 1 year old and was pregnant with the second, barely able to put food on the table and he would not take no for an answer. I think the machines were $400 which would be like a couple thousand today. When he finally gave up - after telling me what a crappy Mom I was for letting my baby crawl on carpet that had not been cleaned by a Kirby vacuum, his parting shot was "Well if you can't afford $XX per month to keep your house clean, I feel sorry for you!".
    Donna

2. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember a sewing machine sales person coming door to door....my Mom bought a Kenmore sewing machine from the Sears store near us...she made a lot of my clothes and all of our curtains, etc....
    but I do remember the a sweeper salesman...and my Mom did buy the Volume Library ( one huge volume like encyclopedias)....I used all through jr. hi and hi school...we didn't have a lot of money back then----I was a coal miners daughter....when I was in hi school my Mom started cleaning homes to make extra money...this brought back so many memories....I was an only child, so I don't know how larger families made ends meet...we used to make most of our purchases from the company store...we also had an ice man that I remember when I was very young...

right after my dh and I got married we had a lady come to the door selling a water softening system....she was there for 3 hours....we could not get her to leave...my dh wanted to sign up right away...he still can't say no to anyone selling something...lol...we did not make the the purchase...
    we bought off the Jewel Tea man for quite a number of years...
    Last edited by sewbizzy; April 16th, 2018 at 08:33 PM.
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mother is 91 1/2 yrs old. She told me that when she was 16 a man came to the door and sold sterling silver flatware by the week. After the first 5 weeks you got a free good housekeeping cookbook. She signed on for $1 a week. The set was Esterling. She achieved the cookbook and a service for 8 from her job at the soda fountain. I have the cookbook. My sister (the drug addict) pawned all the sterling by the mid 90's. I discovered this and went on ebay and managed to put together a complete set (actually 4 sets..one for each dd to inherit as an heirloom from gramma) in 2001. Now, I don't suppose anyone even wants sterling silver but was amazed at someone buying it for $1 a week in the early 40's.