Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default OOPs - WiP for April 12 - 26, 2018

I apologize to the group for not getting the thread up last week and this week looks just as crazy (vacations are wonderful, but not when you loose track of time!). So this thread will go for two weeks if that's OK with everyone. If not, could somebody kick it off next Wed/Thursday?

I am working on the handwork for "It was the 80s" - there's the honeybee block and also a section of EPP hexagons. I also got one block done and one from the old quilt top tidy to sub in for blocks 16 and 17. There are 25 blocks total plus four fill in areas (the EPP is one of them). So I'm on the final half of the piecing. Since it's a 'orphan block/asymmetric sampler' type setting, putting the top together will be interesting.

It snowed today for the third Sunday in a row. But in-between we got up into the 80s! Needless to say, it's been windy and stormy. Given a fifty degree Fahrenheit rise/fall in the temps in a 24-48 hour time span, the flower, birds, roads etc are all suffering. Spring needs to make up its mind to get here and STAY.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OOPs - WiP for April 12 - 26, 2018

Up here in Iowa I cut my daffodils that were sprawled face first under the snow and put them in a vase. This winter is lasting too long for my liking...

For some reason I am trying needlepoint now, after making a couple of crewel pillows, and zig zagging some more quilt applique. It's interesting, working with the wool yarns. This needlepoint is a new cover for an old foot stool that was my grandma's.

Today at church all the pews were covered in quilts that will go to Lutheran World Relief. There were a lot more than usual because the international women's group that meets in the church is volunteering to quilt now too. They helped crank out an extra 100 over the usual output. All were tied strip quilts.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I started work on the Grotto kit from Craftsy that Angela Walters did on one of her Midnight Quilt Shows. The fabric is beautiful and high quality. I am using the kit as is with no substitutions from my stash. This is pretty unusual. Usually I need to switch some fabric out. I spent two days cutting out the pieces from the first four of the seven fabrics. I think there were over 1000 pieces. I didn't actually count because I didn't want to get overwhelmed. I decided to stop cutting and start sewing before I cut the last three fabrics. I swear I was getting a blister on my finger from holding the rotary cutter. I did put a new blade in my rotary cutter before I started.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4148.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	151865

The pieces in this pattern are tiny. At this scale I knew from previous experience I was going to have trouble with the 2.5" square triangle made from the tri tool and the recs tool. So I made a freezer paper foundation to tame those bias edges. I also decided to cut the side triangles an extra 1/8 inch big and them trim the block down. So then I needed to make a home made block loc tool using my trusty Scotch reuseable strips so I could trim the block down consistently. It took me a while to make all these home made tools to help me tame this tiny block, but it worked. Here is block one and those points intersect perfectly the first time, with no pin matching. Take that tricky tiny block.

Name:	100_4151.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	151866
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t mind the late start at all, and I also don’t mind helping out when I can, though life is a bit of a lull right now, I know it will get crazy again this summer with our own travels and relocationing.

I’m working on a kit too, slightly smaller than our fabulous Denise’s ambitious project, it is from Connecting Threads but the pattern is by Jaybird quilts and it uses a specialty ruler. I’m making 2 squares from which I will make pillow covers. It should all turn out lovely, indeed ... my little house in ATL needs something non-utilitarian on the couch, the poor place is so tiny, it just looks like it fell out of the Ikea catalog. Could be worse, could be a total disastrous mess....

Which I’m only thinking about because I was reading a book this week with a character whose mother was a hoarder. I can remember this three times in the past two years that characters have been hoarders. I don’t get the fascination, and ironically, they’re all Australian, I believe. Probably all a coincidence, but I need to find something new to read that is a little more cheerful!!

Kimsophia, how lovely to hear about all the pews draped in quilts! Even if the patterns are simple, I bet they inspired a lot of creativity and will keep people warm!

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by threadbndr View Post
    Spring needs to make up its mind to get here and STAY.
    that’s for sure!! We had beautiful, sunny weather all weekend and it poured down rain while the temps dropped drastically today. We had to cancel a field trip, picnics need dry grass and sunshine, for sure!

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:	DSCN8797.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	151999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It's purple 1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	152000
    ORPHAN BLOCKS
    both tops are done and off to the long arm quilter.. My thanks for the donation. The quilt tops are both a good size for a twin bed. And will brighten someone's life during a bad time in their lives. All for the local Abuse Center.

Name:	row  of houses c.case.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	152001 and Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8785.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	152002

The houses are on the design board and I just have boarders to put on the other... Two more almost ready to head out for the LA step.

Whew, I am working on the big stack of Orphans,,, Projects lined up for the whole year.
    Last edited by Granny Judy; April 23rd, 2018 at 03:28 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive Judy!!

Tell me more about the houses, I'm always drawn to house quilts, but I've never made one....

I have made progress on my pillow covers. The cutting took FOREVER, all sorts of tiny pieces. The piecing is almost finished, but then I don't have backing fabric for quilting the top piece and so I'm stalled with all the pieces almost done, but not quite there... I need to decide what to do next, and no, I have no stash that will work, because I'm moving soon and I've been trying to sew through it all... well, I'll get as far as I can this week, and that's the best I can do. I need to decide what projects to do next- lots of day s off school in the next two weeks for various holidays, but my husband is heading out of town for a week of it so I won't be able to maximize the sewing time....

9 more weeks in Kazakhstan. :-)

10. Thanks threadbndr thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have finished my snail's tail quilting, only did curves on the 4 patch parts but am pleased with how it turned out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0603.JPG 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	152016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0602.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	152017
    I started the Jordan video table runner and ended up with four so I am making a four way runner from it. I have STITD and then pillowcased it but have not top stitched around the edges yet. I also have another small runner to bind before starting FMQ another sandwich. Busy in my sewing room with this rainy day.

12. Thanks TMP, pcbatiks, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've come back to quilting since we have had repair people here the last week (and today) and the sawing and pounding noises, plus paint fumes, drive me into my sewing room...lol Two more weeks of construction and the whole thing would be pieced, quilted and bound I think I may be doing the last applique cutting out...some more birds. Man this pattern has a lot of birds on it, big and small. I'm making these mostly yellow as I find that yellow moves my eyes around the quilt when the other tones are equal. That and black. I'm leaving off the bugs in the pattern. I don't like bugs. No bugs on my quilt...after I get the left panel's critters ironed down I will zig zag around them and then I just need to attach both side panels. Then the top will be done, unless I dink around some more with it...always a possibility.

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    I have finished my snail's tail quilting, only did curves on the 4 patch parts but am pleased with how it turned out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0603.JPG 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	152016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0602.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	152017
    I started the Jordan video table runner and ended up with four so I am making a four way runner from it. I have STITD and then pillowcased it but have not top stitched around the edges yet. I also have another small runner to bind before starting FMQ another sandwich. Busy in my sewing room with this rainy day.
    Claire, these are so lovely. That Snails Tail quilt is beautiful. I love the colors.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels

16. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post