Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Military patch quilt

My husband just retired from the military and he has a whole bundle of Velcro patches that he's accumulated over 20 years. I want to make a quilt and include the patches. I'm not sure exactly how to do it. I can't quilt over the patch. My only idea so far was to quilt each block as I go and attach the patch to the top of each block with a top stitch along the edge. But still, the outline of the patch will show on the backing, right? I can also try to remove the Velcro backings and maybe do a fancier stitch one might do with appliqué. I've searched on Pinterest and have found pictures of military patch quilts, but no information about how they attached the patches or their quilting process.

My problems so far:

1. I've never quilted much of anything, so quilting as I go might be ugly.
    2. Attaching the patch. It's thicker than appliqués.

Any advice.
    Last edited by Kenz; April 15th, 2018 at 12:04 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Military patch quilt

so don't quilt over the patches. Instead, outline them and quilt the background. Are you making the blocks out of the uniform? If so, I would think it has enough pattern that simple stitch in the ditch or echo quilting would be enough.

Congratulations on surviving 20+ years of being a military wife. That is the hardest job I know of. My husband retired after 27 years (before me), one son in law just retired after 20 and the other son in law just re-enlisted to finish his 20. He decided civilian life wasn't for him
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

You could maybe attach the patches to the top before you put it together for quilting. I have only worked with Girl Scout patches, but when I attached them to the vest, I sewed just inside of the satin stitched edge, using the same color. Not sure how it would work with the velcro back. Take it slow and maybe buy a couple of cheap patches at Michaels to practice on.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a quilt for my son out of his dads old bdu's and the patches..I just sewed the patches one and quilted around.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those patches are so thick! I like the idea of just sewing to the block before making the quilt sandwich and just quilting around them.

The warm wishes pattern would be great for this if you have enough patches. You could then just stitch in the ditch for the entire quilt.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Did the patches come with velcro or did you put it on? I've sewn a million it seems and they did not have velcro. It may be easier to go to a surplus store and get identical patches without the V.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Both my husband and I are retired military and getting the velcro off the back of those patches is easier said than done! Shiny Happy World website has some great videos on quilt as you go. She does not add the backing until the top is finished so you would not see the stitches attaching the patches on the backing. Once all the blocks are sewn together, she then adds the backing and basically does a fancy stitch in the ditch - just enough to attach the backing. I have done several quilts this way and it works well.
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LLLinda View Post
    Did the patches come with velcro or did you put it on? I've sewn a million it seems and they did not have velcro. It may be easier to go to a surplus store and get identical patches without the V.
    The problem with military patches is that a lot of them are unique for a location or event and with his career spanning 20 years I doubt that he could even get replacements for the majority of them.

My DH and I are also both retired military. Way back then there wasn't any velcro on the patches. But I noticed that my son's patches all had velcro on them. Should would have been a lot cheaper to change rank with velcro! A lot of times I had to sew patches on by hand and use something to grip the needle with to pull it through! And I still did a better job than the alterations shop on base. After one failed inspection I did all mine and DH's after that!
    Vonnie