• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devchdm
    Binding Belle
    • Oct 2015

"mid arm" opinions please

Well I think I might be ready for a sit down mid arm machine. My current DSM has a harp space of 8 inches and I'm getting tired of this for FMQ. Bottom line I need bigger harp for FMQ and don't have space for Long Arm.

I'm down to 3 machines I think.
    1. Juki TL-2200QVP-S

2. Grace Q'nique 15 SD

3. Handi Quilter Sweet 16

I read Leah Day's evaluation of 1 and 2.

Don't know if I really want the 'puck' stitch regulator?.

Any and all opinions welcome.

thanks, Donna
  • Carlie Wolf
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: "mid arm" opinions please

From what I've read people who have all three really like them. I have a Blockrockit which is a mid arm that is a Qnique but I decided to purchase it with a frame I can stand up with, which I prefer.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• quiltingaway
      Missouri Star
      • Sep 2014

I have also been looking at sit down midarms. I thought I had made my mind up on the Baby Lock Tiara but recently I had the chance to test drive the APQS George. I am sold on this machine and will have one eventually just need to save my money It doesn't have a stitch regulator if that is important to you. I already FMQ without one so don't feel I will miss that. What I love about it is it has a whopping 20" throat! If you have an opportunity you might check this out.
      Annie
      "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

• JCY
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2013

I have the Baby Lock Tiara II table LA (16" harp) & have been very satisfied with it. (There are pics in my sewing room album.) There is a III model that came out after mine. If the choice is between the Baby Lock & the Sweet 16, I'd go with Baby Lock. I understand it has a better warranty.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2012

I have older equipment, but I love it. I have a Little Gracie II with a Juki 98E set up. I've also purchased a 17" Baliely's Home Quilter, but I've literally never taken it out of its box. Sigh ... I want more time to sew!
          Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2012

I have a baileys 13" sit down and love the machine. I prefer a standup frame due to basting but I don't have the room right now.

Comment

• surfergirl
              The Guild President
              • Nov 2015

If any large quilt show conventions come near where you live, check out the Handi Quilter booth and see if they will be selling the new machines that they bring in for the classes. They usually give you a great mark down. I bought my Sweet 16 at Road to California and just luv it, got a $900 discount.

Comment

• quiltsRfun
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by surfergirl View Post
                If any large quilt show conventions come near where you live, check out the Handi Quilter booth and see if they will be selling the new machines that they bring in for the classes. They usually give you a great mark down. I bought my Sweet 16 at Road to California and just luv it, got a $900 discount.
                That's how I got mine. The deal included the stitch regulator which I wouldn't have bought if it wasn't included. I used it a bit just to see how it works but do better without now.

Comment

• Devchdm
                  Binding Belle
                  • Oct 2015

I've been stalking the handi quilter booth at the show in Chicago. May have to look into this. Thanks!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    Missouri Star
                    • Aug 2015

My husband bought us a Sweet 16 a few years ago. We tried it and liked it. HQ has great support, on-line tutorials and form, FB groups for users. He made us a suspension system to manage the weight of larger quilts. DH is a new quilter and he quilted his first quilt, a king-size, with not many issues. I enjoy using rulers and FMQ. You may want to research if your choice can use rulers, as this is very popular among quilters.

More important is also the support we receive from the shop where it was purchased, and when we need service. I would ensure that you can receive after sales service in your area.

I recently rented the HQ Amara from my HQ dealer. While I would love one, I prefer to rent by the day.
                    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• kensington
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

I have the Babylock, Coronet. I love the machine. I have only had it since October last fall. I did 2 practice quilts and then did a lap for my dil for Chtistmas. I got back in my quilt room late after Christmas... but I have 5 smaller quilts ready to quilt. But... my hubs went yesterday and made the deal to swap my frame for the 10 foot. I'm graduating up. I'm pretty stoked about it. I have stitch regulator option when I quilt. I like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X