Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please, please, please, help me decide about a sewing machine.

This year for Mother's Day and my birthday I'm going to get a new sewing machine. I've decided, based on the wonderful things I've read and heard, to get a Juki. I had thought I'd get the TL2010Q because it's supposed to be really terrific, and it's the one I heard about. When I called the closest dealer to ask if they were in stock, I was told that they're recommending a newer Juki (Juki 2200qvp mini) because it's almost the same machine with a couple of nice upgrades, newer, and it's offered with quite a few more accessories than the older one has. The machines would be the same price.

After reading as many reviews as I can find on the computer, I'm totally confused. I keep thinking I should get the totally tried and true TS2010. (My "If it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality".). Then I think about a machine that's the same but with a couple of improvements and extra feet.

I've tried both of them, and they both feel great to sew on.

Can anyone give me some advice about this? I'm really making a huge deal about this because I don't want to make a mistake and am reading the same things over and over and making the same "pro and con" lists many times.

Thanks so very much for any help or ideas that might make my decision clearer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please, please, please, help me decide about a sewing machine.

I don't know anything about either machine, but since they're the same price, I'd lean toward the newer model. That's just me. I'm certain you'll get more thoughts.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The Juki 2200qvp mini has been out for over a year, which means it is old enough that there are reviews about it: https://kristinesser.com/2017/11/24/...p-mini-review/
    I bought mine only a few weeks ago and I didn't have the Juki 2010 to compare with. Harp space, speed control and up/down needle position I was looking for, thread cutter and knee lever were extras I now see I love for string piecing.
    The presser feet that come with the machine are awesome. The only thing they didn't improve yet and is mentioned in most reviews is the poor lighting.
    Be aware that both are straight stitch only machines, perfect for quilting but you'd need another machine with extra stitches if you want to do some garment sewing.
    I haven't have too much time yet to experiment on it, but so far I am inpressed with the even and smooth stitching, even with poor quality thread my other machine would have issues with.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Juki 2010. I love it. I only piece with it, so I can't comment on fmq with it. I ordered mine online and haven't had any issues with it. I kinda have the the same thoughts that you do, " if it ain't broke".... , but I would also have to look at what upgrades they have made and decide if they are important to me. And read reviews on the new model. Lots of reviews. Lol.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 2010Q, bought 3 years ago and love it. I've heard the 2200 mini is the same machine with a bit of a paint job. So, that would still be a tried and true machine. The 2010 goes for $999. If the 2200 mini is the same price, I'd buy it. I just looked at the manual, and it shows an additional open toe FMQ, a 1/4 foot and a guide for the walking foot. I would not pay extra for them. Which ever you get, I'm sure you'll be happy.
    Diana Grey

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you can thread the JukiTL2010Q, get it. It has the BEST reviews of all the machines.
    I was unable to thread it (and I have been sewing since 2012). I returned it and got an Elna with lots of bells and whistles, with an 11" throat space

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I called Juki to ask the difference between the two machines and was told that they are mechanically the exact same machine. The only difference is that the 2200 has more feet. If they're the same price, I'd get the 2200 because you're getting about $300 worth of additional feet. As I understand it, you can only buy the 2200 from dealers; it cannot be shipped. I bought the Juki 2010 from Sewing Machines Plus recently because I felt they would provide excellent customer service should I ever need it, and they matched Gold Star's price. I'm a novice quilter, so all of the extra feet aren't all that useful to me yet. I love my 2010!

9. Thanks debbie1952 thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I am probably buying the Juki 2200 mvp mini on Thursday after I sew with one a little more. I am also thinking of getting the table that allows you to turn the machine toward you to free motion and the special foot for that. *I'm hoping to try those out before my purchase. I am strictly a straight line quilter presently but trying to quilt on my current machine is very frustrating. I'm excited to get better with a better machine suited for the task. A dealer near me is offering it for $899.
    Good luck with your decision.
    *I'm afraid if I put this off, I'll never get those accessories.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Lots2do,

I have the 2010q and the Sew Steady table to turn the machine 90 degrees. For straight line quilting, which I do a lot, turning the machine doesn't work if you want to use the walking foot to get that beautiful stitching. I find I don't use the table much, but I'm still glad go have it when needed.
    Diana Grey

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I have the Juki TL-2000Qi, which is the 2010 minus a couple features, and it still blows my mind a few months in. I smile every time I walk over to use it and sometimes even greet it like a friend. It's so fast and so smooth, and everything's mechanical rather than computerized which I really like, personally. I've done straight-line quilting on it not even using the walking foot--no issues at all.

I think you're going to be happy no matter what!

sarahquiltswithcats.wordpress.com