Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting advice- funny!

Oh my yes. I have several old cookbooks with recommendations for the housewife and all of them seem to focus on us being so gracious and charming and no chaos in our worlds. (they didn't have computers and internet to distract them) They ironed sheets for goodness sake. Women have come a long way but those of us who quilt are still considered domestic slaves by our young executive career type women. My baby DD is a well paid office supervisor and is also a quilter and domestic decorator. She tells me she is a rare bird indeed. She is always looking for little projects to treat her team with. I suggested pin cushions and she said, no body sews. I said well, where to they put the pins that come from shirts and a needle to sew on a button and she said, they throw them away, the pins and the button missing garment.
    They hire housekeepers to keep the house tidy and they eat takeout food. The really well off ones order those gourmet meals to cook in a box!
    Life has changed...is it better...maybe

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess no more sewing in a ratty robe until lunchtime? I have to strike while the iron is hot (pun intended) so do the majority of my sewing/quilting before lunch while I have the most energy lol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, no more sewing in mis-matched pajamas and your hair pulled up in a pony tail.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

uh ooo.....I sure did miss this memo. However for some reason I've never been one to stay in my pjs all day, so while I do have to get dressed everyday - it sure aint all that purdy!!!!! Knit pants, very loose shirt and big fuzzy slippers......works well for me. I do try to get the hair combed and the teeth brushed......but some days that doesn't happen till noonish, my bad!!!!!

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bet it was written by a single man or a hopeful husband!! Not gonna happen in this household, the best I can come up with is at least I'm dressed with hair combed and teeth brushed. Although if there's washing and ironing to do I will do that first.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This was written a year after I was born. In the early 50's I remember mom being in her dress with her hair combed and makeup applied standing at the stove cooking dad breakfast. I'm sure she had already donned her girdle by then too.

She faithfully abided by the rules printed on those tea towels ... Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday, Mend on Wednesday (sewing, embroidery or crochet after the mending was done), Churn on Thursday (meant grocery shopping), Clean on Friday I was assigned to dusting the baseboards and washing the claw feet of the bathtub), Bake on Saturday, and Rest on Sunday. Her mantra to me was "You need to learn to be a good housewife to get a good man." She usually said this to me when I was ironing the pillowcases, dad's hankies, napkins or her aprons.

And I don't know when it started but her necklace and bracelet seemed to always appear at dinner time. I never really understood that action. But I treasure the boxes of costume jewelry she left behind.