Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing furniture

I currently do all my quilting at the dining table. With the sewing machine, cutting mats and supplies spread out everywhere, its a pain to push everything aside so we can have a place to eat. haha!

The front room of my house is kind of a formal living room that doesn't get used. (It's currently full of the kids toys). It would be a perfect spot for me to set up a sewing table. I want a good size table with a big cutting mat on top.

So my question is.....what do you guys have? Where can you buy decent sewing furniture that won't break the bank? What size is your table? Do you glue your cutting mat to the top? If you could attach a pic of your set up that would be helpful. Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing furniture

I was the same way...spread out, constantly clearing the table for meals, not knowing which room the thing I needed was in, etc etc etc.

Finally, as a "empty nest" home, I figured I didn't need a living room AND a dining room. So the living room got moved into the dining room, and the living room became my sewing room (and we eat our meals at the kitchen bar). The dining table is my work table, it has several leaves as well as drop down sides, so I can make it as big (about 80") or as small (about 36") as I want/need. It's a bit low for my comfort, and because of the type of legs it has, I haven't figured out how to raise it without actually custom building risers for it, but I still manage.

Specialized sewing furniture is not cheap, as I'm sure you are finding out, so I would suggest visit your local thrift shops and yard sales and look for a dining table, preferably with leaves so it can be extended if you need something larger, and straight legs that can be set on bed risers if you need it taller). It doesn't have to be pretty (just sturdy and flat), but can always be sanded down and painted if it's really ugly.

I have not glued my cutting mat down for a number of reasons. But mainly because if I glued it down, then I wouldn't be able to use the other side when the mat started to wear out, and if I ever wanted a different (larger) mat, I would have to toss not only the old mat, but the table too.

I am in the process of clearing out the workshop (attached to the garage) of 16 years of accumulated stuff, and the goal is to make that into my sewing studio, and reclaiming my living/dining rooms for their intended purpose.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, EnumclawGramma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Onin craft table by Bayside Furnishings. It is counter height and large. I have two cutting mats on the top. I don't glue anything down in case I want to move/re-arrange. It has plenty of storage space. There is a picture of it in my album here entitled sewing room should you like to see it. There are many other tables that are similar in style if you Google craft tables.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I bought all of my sewing room furniture at IKEA. The box inserts for fabric at Walmart. I also made an ironing table from a cheap plastic fold up table from Amazon. I made the cover to be able to wash it and I can take the whole top off to use as a table when needed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sewing room.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	151594

Name:	Sewing Room 2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	151595

Name:	Ironing table 1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	151596

Name:	Ironing table 2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	151597

Name:	ironing table 3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	151599

Name:	Ironing table 4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	151600

Name:	Ironing table 5.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	151602

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Check estate sales and thrift stores for used furniture, you can save so much money that way. And I would never ever glue my cutting mat down. Eventually you will need to flip it over to use the other side or wash it so don't glue it down.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My cutting tables are two fold up tables from Staples (5 ft x 3 ft). I have them back to back. My cutting mat is not glued down.
    My sewing table for my embroidery and serger machines is an old conference room table bought at Habitat for Humanity for $10. It's very heavy and is 6 ft by 3 ft. It is stable and gives me lots of work space.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a cutting table, but I would love one. I found my sewing table on Craigslist, and I got it for free. It's roomy, has "leaves that fold up on the end and the side to make it much larger. I always keep an eye on Craigslist and thrift stores for anything I can fit in my sewing room to make it more organized.
    ~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also just use 2 folding tables that are height adjustable. I use one low for sewing and have one high for cutting. I can lower the second one to make a larger space for fmq. My sewing room can double as a guest room so I can put everything away if space is needed.
    Vernona

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Most cost affordable solutions are IKEA sewing room hacks. Do you have an IKEA near by?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ikea...w=1280&bih=869
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I found an old executive secretary's desk at the ReStore. It works really well. I have the pull outs that I can sit stuff on the right or left of me. I put a small ironing mat on the left side when there are lots of little piece that need to be pressed.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post