• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • threadbndr
    Batting Beauty
    • Jan 2017

WiP - April 5 to 11, 2018

My big project at work is done and submitted! Maybe I can get back to crafting this week (yippee).

I am working on "It was the 80s". I have the pieced part of Block 14 done and will cut out the applique part tomorrow. It's a traditional 'Honeybee' block. I also have part of Block 15 pieced. It's going to take a set in corner or partial seam, so I'm still pondering how I want to do that.

It's beautiful out today, but is supposed to snow tomorrow. Ah, Spring in the midwest - if you don't like the weather, wait a minute.
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: WiP - April 5 to 11, 2018

I got the moose all fused together. This is the most challenging raw edge applique I have ever done. IMHO the instructions were sorely lacking. I had a full page of hand written instructions of what order things had to be assembled. For instance it was A1 pieces, then H, then E, then A2 pieces. I also had to redesign piece H1. There was no possible assembly sequence that got piece H1 half behind the border, and half on top of the border. I redesigned H1 so it was all assembled on top of the border. I ordered a high shank open toe FMQ foot that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I am hoping that will give me better visibility to quilt down all these tiny jagged edge pieces.

100_4139.JPG

So far it looks pretty awesome for a weeks work.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Missouri Star
      • Aug 2015

Congrats on finishing your big project. I also got mine finished earlier this week but just got around to taking photos yesterday. The queen size 3 dudes quilt is done.
      image.jpg

I also cut the rows into strips, and trying out sashing. I have 2 options. 1) 5" dove colour. 2) 1 1/2" black binding on each side of 5" dove colour. Option 2) would make the quilt a better size, whereas the other would make it narrow and long. Opinions please.
      image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

The three dudes quilt is lovely.

I like your rainbow quilt better without the narrow black sashing. The black is so strong it is dominating the beautiful ombre effect of the color graduation. I especially love how you have the yellow radiating out from the center. I understand that it makes a strange size without the black sashing. What if you made the sashing a shade of gray instead of black?
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Missouri Star
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
          The three dudes quilt is lovely.

I like your rainbow quilt better without the narrow black sashing. The black is so strong it is dominating the beautiful ombre effect of the color graduation. I especially love how you have the yellow radiating out from the center. I understand that it makes a strange size without the black sashing. What if you made the sashing a shade of gray instead of black?
          Thanks. I was thinking that might work. I have gray I can cut and try that out. My DH agreed with you. The black breaks the flow of shading.

Comment

• LauraP
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2015

Your moose is awesome! As a fellow appliquer I can appreciate the amount of work that went into it. I agree, some people are better at designing patterns than they are at writing directions.
            sigpic

Comment

• Claire Hallman
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2011

I have finished this project so that I can get back to my quilting, that is unless the weather cooperates andIMG_0587.JPG I get a chance to sit out here.
              Why oh why do these turn sideways when the look upright on my computer???IMG_0588.JPG
              Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

It was an afternoon project. Two throw pillows from a panel. I FMQ the tops with different colour threads. I am pleased how it turned out. Next, get back to the Ombre quilt. Still pondering options for sashing.

image.jpg

Comment

• RockinLou
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2014

Beautiful work!! My machine is back from the shop, and I finished a skirt for my daughter. I need to do some hair scrunchies too, and a pair of pj pants for my son, then I’m back to a quilting pattern. I have a kit from Connecting thread and will be making two throw pillow cases for our living room in Atlanta. Hopefully I’ll get those pants done by the weekend and can prep the fabric for my pillows, because I need a quilt project in rotation again ��

Here’s DD’s skirt... you can see why it took a long time!
                  6DB307AD-FE2B-4B72-A0C8-8674BFD0679E.jpg

Comment

• jjkaiser
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

RockinLou: I don't understand why your photos turn themselves sideways when you post, but it is even more of a mystery that when I tap on a pic to bring it up full screen it automatically turns itself right side up without me needing to rotate it!! These are wonderful cushions and bright cheery colors. Perfect for summer. Great job!
                    Suzanne: I say no to the black also, it just ruins the whole effect. Do you have any low volume yardage or newsprint fabric to try? I think solid gray may even be too blah. I really like the rainbow pattern you used.
                    Denise, oh my!!! That sure looks complicated but as usual you managed to figure it out. Your work is amazing, and that moose looks like it was SO much work. I would never have the patience! Excellent job!
                    Threadbender: I am dying to see pic of your 80's quilt!!!!!!! And congrats on finishing your big project at work. Doesn't that feel great?!
                    Jocelyn
                    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• kimsophia
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2014

Claire, sorry to be out of the loop but which is your work in these photos? The pillows or the upholstery or both? It looks great

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
                        Claire, sorry to be out of the loop but which is your work in these photos? The pillows or the upholstery or both? It looks great
                        I made some slip covers for all the cushions and pillows. I am not thrilled with the green/turtle fabric so may find something else I like better soon.
                        Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                          Missouri Star
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                          RockinLou: I don't understand why your photos turn themselves sideways when you post, but it is even more of a mystery that when I tap on a pic to bring it up full screen it automatically turns itself right side up without me needing to rotate it!! These are wonderful cushions and bright cheery colors. Perfect for summer. Great job!
                          Suzanne: I say no to the black also, it just ruins the whole effect. Do you have any low volume yardage or newsprint fabric to try? I think solid gray may even be too blah. I really like the rainbow pattern you used.
                          Denise, oh my!!! That sure looks complicated but as usual you managed to figure it out. Your work is amazing, and that moose looks like it was SO much work. I would never have the patience! Excellent job!
                          Threadbender: I am dying to see pic of your 80's quilt!!!!!!! And congrats on finishing your big project at work. Doesn't that feel great?!
                          I have started sewing sashing, no black for this quilt. The sashing is Kona Dove which is not white but a very soft gray/beige.

Comment

• RockinLou
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2014

finished up the clothing items that were on my table, now I'm finally getting around to cutting my pillowcases, it's only Saturday afternoon here so there's still hope I'll make some significant progress this weekend....

Comment

Working...
                            X