Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Straight line quilting up and down and then down and up? Or up down, up down?

When sewing strips together, I know that one should not always sew in same direction, but vary the start point to prevent bowing. In other words top to bottom, then bottom to top. In quilting straight lines, does this matter? I am finding it easier to take a tacking stitch, go up, tac, and then start on bottom again. Am I harming my quilts?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Straight line quilting up and down and then down and up? Or up down, up down?

You are probably not harming any quilt, but you may want to check as you go along, to make sure that the strips don't pull one way more than the other.

The other way to avoid bowing, if you want to start seeing from the same side, is to press seams as you add them and make sure it is still square.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

3. Thanks TMP, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Straight line quilting up and down and then down and up? Or up down, up down?

I vary side to side, then top to bottom. I find it helps me to keep it square.......on a domestic machine. On my quilting machine it is a different matter.

5. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I sew jelly roll strips together, I sew sets of two until I have the number of sets for my pattern, then I trim the uneven ends, then add the next strip starting at the trimmed end. That way I don't have to mark anything.

There was one quilt that I quilted on my longarm that the piecer did not rotate ends and I had a constant tug of war with that quilt.
    Vonnie

7. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

When doing straight line quilting I start in the middle and work my way out, top to bottom, top to bottom. To work top to bottom and then bottom to top on the same side of the midline I imagine I would have to turn the quilt upside down and this would mean I would progressively get more and more quilt under my harp at every second line. The only way to avoid this would be to do, from the centre, a top to bottom then swing the quilt upside down and do bottom to top on the other side of the midline. But that sort of defeats the purpose because it would mean I would be quilting in the same direction for each line on one half and then the opposite way, the same direction for each line on the other half. Clear as mud! If you get a piece of paper and pretend it's your quilt and then draw lines to represent your sewing you can see what I mean.
    Last edited by just4me; April 7th, 2018 at 07:14 AM.

9. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried alternating on straight line quilting but find that moving the quilt around that much seems to distort it anyway so, I have come to the conclusion of just going back to the top. Less movement of the quilt and less chance of loosening up the sandwich.

11. Thanks Old Newbie, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your knowledge. I get what you are saying, @just4me What you say makes sense about moving the quilt so much @grammaterry . I like you suggestion to keep things square @suzyQue. Great ideas to prevent bowing @vonnie and @SuzanneOrleansOntario.