Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gabe Needs Our Prayers

Those if you that have been around for a while, know the story of my grand son Gabe. Long story, short...he was almost killed by his sperm donor, when he was 6 weeks old. He beat him so severely that he had 4 skull fractures, a subdural hematoma, broken clavicle, bruised liver, and bruises all over his little body. He is truly a miracle, because most babies that have that many injuries, do not survive. He was in ICU for 3 weeks, and in the hospital for a total of 5, after that. He has had 5 surgeries to repair damage that was done to his head. The first one of them was to repair a growing fracture in his skull when he was 8 months old, and to put in a VP shunt, because the damage also caused hydrocephalus. He was also placed on anti seizure medication, when he was an infant. He remained on that until he was 2 and they took him off.

Now to why he needs your prayers. He had not had a seizure since he was 8 months old, and that was caused by the setting on the shunt system, following his first surgery. On March 16th, at about 8:45 AM, he had a grand mal seizure at school. We rushed him to the hospital (he refused to go in an ambulance) to see what was going on. He vomited all the way there. We were scared to death it was shunt failure, and they would have to do surgery on him. Thank God it wasn't. The did all kinds of tests, and found nothing that would have caused it. He then had to have an EEG a week later. Whatever it showed, they told DD, that he would have to go back on his anti seizure medication because he will be prone to seizures... (Still hasn't managed to get an actual appointment with the neurologist)
    Last night while sleeping with his mom, which he always does, she was awaken to him having another seizure. She had to administer the diazepam to him because of how long it lasted. He was lucid and aware when he came out of it. He started on his medication Wed. at a lower dose, and is supposed to increase it this coming week.

It scares me so bad, I can barely breathe. For 9 years, he has been seizure free, and perfect in every way imaginable. He has some difficulties in school. He just has to be taught differently, because of how his brain works. But he is so smart. He plays baseball, and bowls. He is a wiz at computer and video games. He is also so very handsome.

I NEED my prayer warriors, and forum friends to pray for my little man, that these seizures stop, and he can continue to be the carefree, happy little guy we have loved for 9 years. Pray that this medication does its job, and he has no side effects from it. Pray that he can have the "normal" life that he has had his entire life, and he has no more seizures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gabe Batting.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	151451  
    Last edited by auntiemern; March 31st, 2018 at 11:25 AM.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, SallyO'Sews, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gabe Needs Our Prayers

How scary and heartbreaking for Gabe and his family! I am saying a prayer right now.

4. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Marilyn, sorry to hear Gabe is having seizures. Prayers being offered to the rescue. Praying that these seizures will stop and God will take care of him and family.

6. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My prayers have been added ......for Gabe and all of you.

8. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

God bless Gabe. I'll be praying for him, also his mom. It's so scary when our kids have medical problems we can't fix. I hope the Rx does the trick. My niece has a son who was born with hydrocephalus & has had numerous surgeries. As a child he had almost daily seizures even while on medication. He also had a shunt. Modern medicine is amazing. Prayers, too, for wisdom for the doctors who care for him.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lifting prayers! God bless and keep Gabe close in his almighty healing arms.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

12. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers on the way...........
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

14. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Marilyn you know my well wishes and healing thoughts are with you and your family and especially Gabe. He deserves a normal life after all he has been through. I will be sending waves of healing thoughts your way for him. I understand how scary seizures are, having a family member that had them and my previous bosses daughter. If you have never seen anyone having a seizure it is very scary thing to watch. Hugs to all of you.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

16. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry to hear about this setback. Here's hoping the medicine gets the seizures under control and he can continue the carefree life of a kid. He's a fighter and has over come so much already, with prayers and good medical care, he will continue to grow and thrive. I always remember Gabe in my prayers. Had such fun the other day with his sister and you at lunch. She's such a mature and good kid, I'm sure she is that way because of the support the family has given Gabe as he went through his treatments.

18. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It has sadden me to hear of Gabe's seizures. I will pray for all of you.

20. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post