Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Question to join all 3 layers question

hi
    the quilt is 110" by 110" inches at the moment, ( may shrink during quilting,) have spent 3 hours safety pinning together on the wooden table top (removed from legs), which was laid on floor to stop quilt from slipping and sliding off.
    have worked out can fit 55inches under the harp of 201 treadle, quilt being gravity reduced , is there any reason have to start in the centre, other than that how quilting has always been done, ?
    can I go back and forth from one edge of quilt to centre ensuring smooth under needle, and then working from centre travelling to far edge from started?
    will be free motioning.
    many thanks for any replys?

ps
    wonder if nasa has tried quilting in space, the quilt might float up there making the free motion easier.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: to join all 3 layers question

My thoughts??

110" square quilt?
    Hand pinned?
    Crawling around on the Floor for pinning?
    Being quilted on a Treadle?

With complete sincerity, I bow down to you in total awe. That you did any one of the above (much less all of them) humbles me, enough to say, I am the last person in this forum that would venture to suggest how to quilt this, after you have done so much more than I would have ever attempted. I would have been calling on my long arm lady for this one.

But I do like the idea of a gravity free quilting space. Maybe we can contact Nasa and borrow their zero gravity simulation room?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are very specific reasons why quilting on a domestic sewing machine is done from the center out. No matter how well you have basted your layers together on a quilt that big there is going to be some shifting between the top layer and the bottom layer due to drag and friction. If you start at the outside and work in you will end up with tucks and bows in the center of the quilt. If you start in the center and work out , you can shift and smooth the tucks to the outside free edges. Secondly as you quilt the layers together it will become stiff. You won't be able to stuff the stiff quilted parts through the tiny harp on your 201 treadle. However if you quilt the center first, you can leave the stiff quilted parts outside of your harp, and stuff the non quilted parts through the tiny harp.

You are incredibly brave to quilt a 110" square quilt on a 201 treadle. Based on my experience I would never attempt this. Trying to stuff a 84" wide quilt though my 7" harp was a desperate exhausting struggle.

Best of luck to you
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post

You are incredibly brave to quilt a 110" square quilt on a 201 treadle. Based on my experience I would never attempt this. Trying to stuff a 84" wide quilt though my 7" harp was a desperate exhausting struggle.

Best of luck to you
    The largest I ever quilted on my Babylock Espire (7" throat/harp) was 90" X 108". And I did stitch in the ditch from the center out on all the major seams. Then went back and free motioned quilted the blocks. Boy were my shoulders tired!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For the reasons stated above, it's important to always start quilting in the middle of the quilt & work to the sides & the top & bottom. Some quilt in quadrants. I have never attempted to quilt anything larger than a lap size quilt. Anything larger, I pay a LAer to do. I do not have a large enough floor space to even lay out that large of a quilt, let alone get it sandwiched to satisfaction.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would pin just at the top and let it shift down while you go. That is way to big for me to handle.

Lorie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Am blushing Caroline thank you, just thought that's how making a quilt sandwich was done, did say a few prayers while down there.
    sounds like a plan..

thank you Denise, pleased asked, very informative . will start in centre for reasons mentioned.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

thank you

the long armer is a fair distance away so at this moment not an option.

sorry to hear you hurt doing your quilting. Vonnie

seemed to have pushed the boundary's a little in size,
    it be fun to learn if can manage, treadle with feet, hands, quilt a pattern, slide quilt and balance on the ball seat at same time its a sewing journey.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

"and balance on the ball seat at same time ",

LOL I want a youtube tutorial on that trick.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are doing all the good things we all do when we begin. I watched a u tube video on sandwiching on a table and find that it is easier to do it with the sides going over the top. I can do 110 inches easily by laying my backing on the table and letting it hang evenly all around, then roll the batting onto the back and smooth it out. Last put the top on starting about 2 inches in from the back and smoothing it as I go. THen I begin pin basting from the center, smoothing as I go. I have not had to go back and repin since I started this method. My back is smooth when I'm finished.
    You MUST quilt from the center or , like the previous post, you will have lots of bunches when you get to the middle if you start from the sides. Smooth as you go. I started FMQ with a 7 inch throat and yes, it wasn't real easy but was doable on a king size quilt. I did trade up to a 10 inch throat about a year later and of course, it is a lot easier.
    As you get more experience FMQ , it won't seem like such a chore. Just remember, you must have support under your quilt or you will have drag. A huge table is ideal but there are ways to compensate...ie...ironing boards, shelves, chairs...anything that keepts that quilt level without pulling while you sew.