Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: to join all 3 layers question

Something else to consider is that as you quilt, particularly if it is a dense pattern, the actual quilting adds a lot of weight as well which creates even more drag to compensate for as you quilt. I've just cast a wary eye over my treadle and have shuddered at the very thought of managing a quilt with it but I'm sure many vintage enthusiasts do so "I dips me lid to you!" And yes, another vote here for contacting NASA!

2. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been pin basting for years. The only time problems have occurred in quilting (Not starting in the center) is when my roll of batting is getting low, and the batting is stretched. The stretched batting causes shiftiness. No matter how much I would pin it would cause the back to pucker under those circumstances. Other than a weird spot in batting, it doesn't matter. I do find when starting a large one like this, I tend to sample my free motion quilting in the center block first. If the wrestling is too much, or awkward for the design, I decide on a different pattern quickly! Good luck!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

4. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Deeply impressed. Yes, you must quilt from center. I know this from my own trials! I tried once and ruined the quilt. The batting bunched! The fabric shifted. The backing was triangulated. Of course, I had pinned shoddily, so-yours may be more secure. After that, I started using spray baste. Now I use glue. I love glue, but it is not for everybody. But I still quilt from center.

6. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you anchor your quilt you can start on the sides. This is from Harriet Hargrave a national teacher and author of many, many quilting books. That is the way I do it and never had a problem. There is an advantage to starting on the side and rolling toward the middle because when it is quilted it is more compressed and will be a smaller roll. I do SITD to anchor. Sometimes all, sometimes maybe 6 lines.

8. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post