Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Applique question.....

I have been making quilts since 1980 but only occasionally. I used to live in an urban area and have access to quilt shops to find the newest products. have just recently retired and am making more quilts. I now do not have access to information about the best products. I am looking for recommendations regarding applique. Fusible applique? Those raw edges really make me paranoid. The quilt I am planning to make will get washed frequently. Will it be okay to use raw edge fusible applique and then do a blanket stitch around each piece. What is the best, most reliable fusible web on the market today. I live in a rural area, away from quilt shops and their expertise so I am relying on you all to help me pick the best product/ method.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Applique question.....

I use Heat and Bond Feather weight. I won't be the only answer though of course. lol

Welcome to the forum! Where do you live?

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also use Heat and Bond and have had no problems.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I could help you but alas I am applique challenged, BUT I did want to welcome you to the forum!.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If your applique is going to be washed frequently then yes you will want to sew down the edge of the raw edge applique. A button stitch is fine or make it even easier on yourself by top stitching 1/8" inside the edge of the pieces.

I have used Steam A Seam 2 (best for small pieces where alignment is critical, but leaves a sort of orange peel texture on the fabric especially noticeable on light colored fabric) Heat and Bond (follow the manufacturers direction and do not overheat and over press) and Wonder Under 805 (follow the manufacturers directions and press with a wet cloth) and got good results with all three. I have no problems with needle gum up when sewing through either product.

Do not try to sew through Heat and Bond ULTRA. Ultra will gum up your needle.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help. I am excited to continue to be a part of this forum. I love trying new techniques and I love making scrap quilts. I have a stash that I enjoy making smaller.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do not do applique because I am really bad at it, but I do like to admire and appreciate other's work. I Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the Forum. I am from Wisconsin.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! I have used software fuse as well as the above mentioned fusibles. My favorite is soft fuse. It works great for appliances on quilts. I use a machine blanket stitch to sew down the edges. Make sure to follow the directions carefully on whatever fusible you choose as heat temperature and steam/no steam is very important to getting the best results.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I meant soft fuse brand --autocorrect!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here is my method and I love it. You don't end up with edges that could possibly fray. Using fusible interfacing. The edges are rounded over and look like needle turned applique. I found a video and watched it to make sure it would be helpful to you.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...03&FORM=VDRVRV Hopefully it will transfer to this posting. It is from Fons & Porter. Have fun.

11. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post