Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Log Cabin Cross wall hanging

A photo of this Log Cabin Cross has been making the rounds on Facebook for a while. It's really pretty and features the Texas state flower (bluebonnets) so naturally it's a very popular post here in Texas. Everyone tags me on it, so I finally decided to give it a try. I made it exactly like the original photo and loved it so much I had to try it in a few variations as well.

I came up with the dimensions from looking at several Pinterest pins, then later I found the pattern in my stash! Gosh, that's embarrassing.

This is the first try:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log Cabin Cross.jpg 
Views:	1482 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	151318
    I donated it to my church for a silent auction. It sold for $150! I was shocked. Two of the losers in the bidding came up to me afterwards asking if I'd make them one. As easy as they are, I will if I can find more of the fabric.

I quilted it by stitching in the ditch around the cross and border, then I drew lines to radiate away from the center. I drew them with a washable blue pen, quilted it, and then spritzed it with water. Most of the marks disappeared but I nearly had a heart attack when some didn't. I tried again, no luck. They kept coming back. White vinegar to the rescue! I put them in a tub of water and a gallon of vinegar and that did the trick.

Here are the others I made. I didn't tell anyone during the silent auction that I had made more and would sell them in two weeks at the craft fair at church.

Bluebonnets in Blue - this one is gong to a cousin of mine, so I still have two more bluebonnets to make.

Name:	20180319_142328.jpg 
Views:	1016 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	151321

I wanted to see how it would look in a different color scheme. I had this little set of FQs in my stash and it worked out well. I had to buy the border fabric, but thought it went nicely. I did pretty well matching the print on the center cross. I wasn't thinking when I matched one half, but did better on the other half.

Name:	20180319_142522.jpg 
Views:	970 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	151320

Then I had the idea to try roses. The three smaller fabrics have red glittery highlights. It's not real glitter, and I'm sure there's a proper name for it, but it escapes me. I finished it, but don't have a good photo to show you. the black flange really does well. (EDITED TO ADD: the red glitter fabric is called Sugar Berry from RJR, but the center cross/border fabric isn't from that collection. I don't know the name of it, but it is gorgeous)

Name:	20180324_091519.jpg 
Views:	995 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	151322

I'm a terrible photographer, they all look wonky, but are actually square - well, a proper rectangle!

This was my first log cabin project and I love them! It's such an easy pattern and makes me want to try more. I've already created a Log Cabin Board in Pinterest and have my eye on a watercolor quilt already.....
    Last edited by snippet; March 26th, 2018 at 12:50 AM. Reason: added fabric name

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Log Cabin Cross wall hanging

They're all lovely, each one so different and beautiful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love them all....very nice!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

They are all just beautiful!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

They're all beautiful!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love, love these! Will you share the name of the pattern?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How lovely! Like you, I have been wanting to make one. Not only that, my hubby has seen this and said, when are you going to do one and why haven't you already? ha. Yours are certainly some of my favorite ones that I have seen. What a wonderful addition to the church auction. I may need to steal that idea - Don't think the Lord would mind. Thanks for sharing
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, Carol! Each one is more beautiful than the other.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

They are all beautiful Carol. Nice job.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those are gorgeous. I can't pick a favorite even though I am from Texas and love bluebonnets so.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.