Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Rotary Cutter Problem

Dear Friends,

I am embarassed to bring this up, but it is driving me batty. I have a used rotary cutter that I took apart and now cannot seem to put it back together so that it cuts smoothly. Has anyone else had this problem and knows how to assemble the cutter? The the screw knob fit against the blade? Is there a right and left side of the blade? Ugh!

Thanks for any help you could give this beginner quilter!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rotary Cutter Problem

What type of cutter do you have? There ae several videos available online about how to do this.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had a problem with that too because I threw the pkg away. This is a good video especially for the 'hat' . Putting that on backwards was my problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz0Q2GVSM48

My other big mistake was putting two blades on because they were stuck together. I was like why is my fabric shredding with this new blade? lol

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't be embarassed in asking questions in this forum. I also have put two blades in when changing, those dang things stick to each like superglue when you buy a package with multiple blades. I have one cutter that loves to get lose on me with time. Maybe it is the way I use it, who knows, I just give the nut thingy it a turn from time to time and it still cuts beautifully.

5. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

: - ( I have got to say I just recently had this same issue. Cannot believe it, but what a mess I had. I ordered new blades for my 60 mm and my 45 mm.. Was all happy to get them, took my cutters apart,, took out the old blades, put in the new blades, put everything back together...and Not! I had them together WRONG. Took a couple of tries before I had them right. WE ALL DO IT! I try to remember each time I do it , but ALAS, I mess up. You're OK. Just keep persisting.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

7. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, been there, done that. I have two 60 mm cutters and I take them apart one at a time to change the blades. I lay out all the parts as I disassemble and then put them back in that order. Usually its good. When its not, I have another one to look at and see what I did wrong.

9. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be embarrassed, I would guess most all of us have done it. The first quilting class I took, the instructor asked if I was left handed, no I said, well you have your blade on your rotary cutter wrong. I had changed blades for the first time for this class and thought I put it back together right. Who knew there was a left and right side???? Anyway, now when I get a new rotary cutter, I scan the instructions on how to change the blade, put the info in a file in Dropbox and can access it anywhere I am,(well if I have my phone). The reason for telling this, is I tried to lay out the pieces in the order they go back on, and managed to get all messed up anyway. This old brain just ain't what it used to be.

11. Thanks Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be embarrassed...I've put mine together wrong more than once, put in two blades, etc. I have Fiskar rotary cutters and I'm right handed so the blade goes on the left side of the cutter and the nut that screws on the bolt is on the right side next to my hand. When I change blades now, I lay everything out in the order that I took it apart....that works...most of the time. LOL!
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

13. Thanks Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be embarrassed to ask about this issue! As you can see, you aren't alone at all. I recently changed the blade in my 60mm ergonomic Olfa cutter and it wasn't working right. I didn't have that little hat shaped nut on the screw correctly, so the blade wobbled a it. And I have done the putting in two blades accidentally thing also. It's why there are YouTube videos out about these issues. Everyone struggles at times!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I have a problem with putting in blades, but if often makes no difference. I cut with my right hand and then cut with my left hand. Being ambidextrous can be a problem in itself. I hope it cuts. That is all I need.