Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default International Move & sewing machines

I'm moving from Kazakhstan to Morocco... I have purchased in our 5 years here both a Serger and a sewing machine, I have the original boxes from Bernina. I'm wondering if we should arrange to ship them (and some other household items) to Morocco, which might take months and will definitely happen over the heat of the summer, or if I should try to check them on the airlines.

We are flying Lufthansa - Almaty- Frankfurt-Atlanta

then

KLM - Atlanta - Amsterdam - Casablanca about 5 weeks later.

Anyone with experience checking machines as checked baggage? I don't have a case that either machine fits in, and I am not interested in hauling them around the airport while also managing 2 kids on long layovers, and the serger might exceed the weight limit for a carry on.

All advice is welcome though, as I can't decide what will be best!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: International Move & sewing machines

However they're shipped be sure to pack well. I've seen a couple of videos on packing machines for shipping but don't have the links. Perhaps a Google search will be helpful.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend putting them in your carry-on if you can, but if you have the original boxes/Styrofoam, anything that should be sufficient for shipping the package should be sufficient for checking them as luggage. Just make sure to pack any loose parts securely (remove the needle, etc) and tape and label it well.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought of the electrical power situation? May need converters for both 220 vs 120 or vice versa, also many outlets overseas have the plugs in different shapes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked into mailing it by post direct. In the long run it might cheaper and less hassle.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I recently traveled by air in Canada from coast to coast with a sewing machine. I packed it in the original box and then in another box with Styrofoam to add extra cushioning but making sure it stayed under the required size for checked luggage/containers. I checked the sewing machine instead of carrying it on as the airlines are getting very strict here with carry on size rules. I arrived a bit earlier than needed which was good because I had to take the box to a special check in area where they x rayed it. The security technician looked up, smiled and said to enjoy my sewing machine when we got to our destination. I got the feeling that a lot of people ship their sewing machines this way. Both the machine and I made it safe and sound. No damage at ALL.

However, you may want to check with your homeowners insurance to see if your machines are covered in transit. I am not sure what the airlines will cover for checked baggage. Take pictures before you pack as well as after packing. Include your name and phone number inside each box (maybe taped to the inside box?) as well as on the outside just in case the machines are misplaced or lost during travel.

I also had a roll of packing tape in my carry on in case security wanted to open the box. I trust my tape more then their tape LOL I didn't need the tape but it gave me peace of mind to have it. But then again, I also ALWAYS buy a bottle of water and snacks once I clear security because I worry about being delayed and having to sit in the plane without food and water. I think I could have fed half the plane last time but the grandkids enjoyed the snacks when we landed.
    Last edited by RiverMomm; March 19th, 2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: corrected auto correct typo