Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Our Wonderful Secret

So glad to have our Blondie back here for a bit! Her reflection of life is one of the things that really drew me into the MSQ forum..Listen to the words and bring them to your creativity...it's the most important part of any day for those of us that can't go a day without it) GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

2. Thanks EnumclawGramma, sewbizzy, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry you are going to crack up at this,,,
    Last week i dug out a huge bag my Sis got at a yard sale... it had (it seemed like) thousands of cream colored squares that were pressed into folded type pouches... I think they were for cathedral windows. I looked up the process and not only was it hard to wrap my head around, i just knew i would not have the patience!!
    Soooooooo,,, I have have pressed them all flat! and will use them in HST at some point...
    How's that for the total opposite of what you did... almost comical Expect i pretty sure we both had that same feeling of relief when we were finished with our piles.....Hugs, GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

4. Thanks Star lover, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Blondie and all that visit today.
    Well said and brings back sweet memories of my memere Josephine. She apparently sewed all of her family's clothes, and made quilts for all of them and the grandchildren when they married. I do remember sleeping there as I spent a good amount of vacation time there. She had the most interesting covers. I now realize these were quilts. She made a lot of crazy quilts with scraps of fabrics and cut up pieces of clothing. She had a Singer treadle machine. She tried to teach me, but I couldn't reach the peddle. She embellished her wuilts with silk ribbons and embroidery. Oh these were touch quilts, with silks, velvety, wool, cotton.

Memere also knitted and taught me how to knit and pearl. I loved her. She would buy me balogna slices from the butcher and fry them into little hats. My mom never sewed or wuilted, but she was mortified that she would feed us balogna.

Alas she died when I was almost 11, but I did get her last WIP which my mother had sewn together. It was a quilt for Canada's Centennial in 1967. Here's a picture.
    Though we may never meet, we share a common thread and love of quilting. I was fortunate to discover Jenny and M* while taking my first quilting class. A lady in the group told me to check out her tutorials. I was hooked.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	151093

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks toggpine, Claire Hallman, Star lover thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness...Canada’s centennial quilt! I was just a little girl, but can remember my mom sewing herself and me dresses for that centennial and my Dad and brother got new shirts with the centennial emblem on the chest! That’s a good memory Thanks ladies for the look back on the sewers of our past.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    Good morning Blondie and all that visit today.
    Well said and brings back sweet memories of my memere Josephine. She apparently sewed all of her family's clothes, and made quilts for all of them and the grandchildren when they married. I do remember sleeping there as I spent a good amount of vacation time there. She had the most interesting covers. I now realize these were quilts. She made a lot of crazy quilts with scraps of fabrics and cut up pieces of clothing. She had a Singer treadle machine. She tried to teach me, but I couldn't reach the peddle. She embellished her wuilts with silk ribbons and embroidery. Oh these were touch quilts, with silks, velvety, wool, cotton.

Memere also knitted and taught me how to knit and pearl. I loved her. She would buy me balogna slices from the butcher and fry them into little hats. My mom never sewed or wuilted, but she was mortified that she would feed us balogna.

Alas she died when I was almost 11, but I did get her last WIP which my mother had sewn together. It was a quilt for Canada's Centennial in 1967. Here's a picture.
    Though we may never meet, we share a common thread and love of quilting. I was fortunate to discover Jenny and M* while taking my first quilting class. A lady in the group told me to check out her tutorials. I was hooked.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	151093

8. Thanks shermur, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it is hard to believe how long I've really been here! Things certainly have changed in Hamilton since then!

I love the friends I have made here. Some I have been lucky enough to meet in person, and others I certainly hope to!

Thanks for being a light on a dim day, a chuckle when I need it, enablers even when I don't need that kind of help, and a place to come and vent, or seek solace depending on the day. I think we need that type of community even more these days.
    So, bless you all and our fabric-loving ways, no matter what style or method is your favorite way to make a quilt!
    Hugs, Cathy
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

10. Thanks Star lover, Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    Sometimes it is hard to believe how long I've really been here! Things certainly have changed in Hamilton since then!

I love the friends I have made here. Some I have been lucky enough to meet in person, and others I certainly hope to!

Thanks for being a light on a dim day, a chuckle when I need it, enablers even when I don't need that kind of help, and a place to come and vent, or seek solace depending on the day. I think we need that type of community even more these days.
    So, bless you all and our fabric-loving ways, no matter what style or method is your favorite way to make a quilt!
    Hugs, Cathy
    Dear Dear Cathy - does it make you feel old considering we were both here at the beginning? Big hugs and lots of affection to you!
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Blondie...you have opened a box of memories filled with love of special family members gone on to become Special Angels in my life. I didn't know my maternal Grandma made the quilts I snuggled under whenever I visited her in the winter. My sister Aunt told me that's where they came from. My beloved Mom who passed away in 2011 never knew I had started quilting, but I feel her presence looking over my shoulder. Most specially when I get frustrated...I can almost hear her say "slow down a little. You can do it. Just takes a little patience." When I follow her advice everything seems to fall into place. Mama, I sure do miss you! Sniff, sniff. I too "found" Jenny & the infamous tutorials. AND, the absolutely the BEST group of friends on the planet!!!!! You guys have been there when I needed you the most! I don't always respond to all posts but I spend a day sometimes "listening" & peeking into your lives.

I became a quilter after I saw a little lap quilt my DH's niece made for my late MIL. I said if she could do it then I could. I've mentioned on another post about the 1st one I made. Wow, was it a doozy to look at. The actual quilting of it was goshawful!! But I've kept it & use it to show myself how far I've improved. I owe that to my grandma, my Mom & Jenny & her wonderful tutorials.

Blessings to all our grandmas, Moms, aunts, cousins that showed us the way.
    And blessings, prayers, hope to all who need them. You are always in my thoughts.

Gina

13. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is I am so grateful that I found this amazing forum. Lifelong, loving friendships have been formed, that I would not trade for anything. You know how I feel about you, so nothing more needs to be said about that. I love M*, as well as the Doan family, and many of their employees. Quilting is in my soul, thanks to my granny. You all are in my heart, thanks to this place.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

15. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post